cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluating A Unique WWII Collection

petroniusjones
Enthusiast
Hi, I've been a used book and document dealer for many years. I've sold hundreds of unit histories and small collections, but I've run into a collection that has me baffled and I could use any help or suggestions. A lady has approached me with her father's WWII items. Her father was a plankman (original crewmember) of the USS Wasp. I'm stunned by the range and condition of these objects. She's a friend and I want to do the best for her. Her father developed post traumatic stress disorder (though it wasn't called that in 1945) and never fully recovered. He kept a journal and scrapbooks. Unlike most servicemen, he didn't paste items down. Most are in photo holders ar tipped in. Some of them are taped in, but he attempted to do as little damage as possible with the tape. They contain original photos aboard the Wasp, tipped in Thanksgiving and Christmas menus 1944, a radio teletype message ordering the ship to sea, an aerial photograph (about 12" x 20") of Japanese defenses on an island under assault, numerous teletypes from Spruance, greeting cards from home, a Memorial at Sea program from 9 Nov 1944 when the Wasp lost 32 sailors to an attack, Plank Owners Certificate #519, personal information such as the letters to the family from the chaplain at hospital where the sailor was being treated which discuss his mental breakdown immediately following the war, medals, insignia, a huge Marine jungle knife (almost a machete)and much, much more. The journal is terse, especially as the stress grows. A typical entry would be, "Attacked by 18 Jap planes at noon. Shot down all but one. Lost one sailor." I would hate to break this collection up, but if I can make Kathy the most money that way I will have to do it. By massive coincidence the Wasp is a museum in Newport RI, about 20 miles from here. I'm considering donating the collection if the tax write off would be better than auction price. Who would I approach to evaluate this collection? And, what would an appraisal cost? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm a stranger in a strange land when it comes to this. Thanks, Hal C.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hal, From a historical perspective it would be best to donate it to the museum. It would guarantee that the collection stays together and it would be a great way to honor this lady's father, since he was a plank member. Also the journal could have great historic significance and would be best served in the museum. I would contact someone from the museum and see if they could do a professional appraisal. Based on the values listed in the appraisal you can decide if you want to sell the collection or donate it and take the tax write-off.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I truly agree with the option of donating to the museum. Museum's preserve the history of America and more specifically the makeup of the museum itself, per se the Wasp museum - what a better place to have some of the original documents, photo's, etc. They would be more than happy to provide a tax contribution letter, providing they had someone that could do an appraisal on the items. It appears that she might have some other military items not Wasp related and with those, yes she could possibly get those appraised for individual sale. With Newport being a fair size Navy town, and with past ships homeported there, as I was there from '86-'90 on a FFG - I'm sure you can find a dealer in Naval memorabilia as well if you wanted to get any of the items appraised. There is also a few other Navy historical centers that might be interested as well. Best of luck to you on this search and I applaud the servicemember and spouse for preserving the items like they have, they truly seem like some treasures.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I second the motion. Also, in donating the collection to the Wasp museum, the collection remains intact. I would rather see the collection intact rather than break it up. Richard
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

t.wouw
Enthusiast
I HAVE A TRAVELING MUSEUM IN PENNSYLVANIA. I HAVE BEEN ON T.V. AND IN THE NEWSPAPER NUMEROUS TIMES FOR DISPLAYS I HAVE DONE IN SCHOOLS. I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN THIS GROUP. YOUNG PEOPLE DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT WW2 VETERANS WENT THROUGH. I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY FOR THE GROUP. BY THE WAY I WENT TO ST GEORGES SCHOOL IN NEWPORT . I AM A BELL RINGER.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply