cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hoping someone can help me with this mid century modern curved sectional

My name is Matthew Davis, and I live in Bellingham, Washington. Last year I acquired a mid century modern sectional and an upcoming move forces me to sell it. I am reaching out to you because people have told me that it is special. I don’t know myself.

I am attaching some photos. It is 13 feet wide at the back corners and appears to be in pristine condition except that the zippers are shot and have been sewed shut, and the top of the back looks faded from sun. I almost does not feel like anyone has ever used It.

I found it in a random Craigslist search and immediately had to have it. I paid for it sight unseen and had to travel 250 miles each way in a Home Depot truck to get it. Something just made me have to have it. It has no maker’s mark. The only marking I can find at all is a stamp on an internal metal strap that references Patent No. 2124048. Research reveals that patent was issued in 1938 to Albert M Bank. It expired in 1955. Circa 1955 would be consistent with the story the seller told me.

I have gone to great lengths in an attempt to identify the maker. I have posted photos asking for help in just about every possible location. Every time I do, my post gets hundreds of likes and many people want to buy it. One person offered me their first born child for it. For some reason, it has that effect on people. When people see it, they smile and can’t quit talking about it. I have some other nice mcm furniture, but no one cares about it.

I really want to know who made it. Just curiosity killing the cat. I also need to find a way to sell it.

The only valuation information I have been able to get was from an online appraisal service where I sent pictures and details. The person who did it said: “Your ca. 1950s-1960s sectional sofa is in excellent condition. Without a makers' tag, it's not possible to definitively identify the manufacturer, but given the quality of the materials and construction, it is from one of the higher end manufacturers at the time, such as Broyhill and Drexel. Mid Century Modern style is in high demand right now, so based on realized auction and sale values for comparable sofas, a reasonable range for yours would be $3500-$4000." Others online have suggested a significantly higher value if the make could be identified.

Thank you.

20211109_071838_ccexpress.jpeg20211109_090501_ccexpress.jpegback.jpeg20211109_071458_ccexpress.jpeg20211109_071345_ccexpress.jpeg20211114_205144_ccexpress.jpegUS2124048_Page1.jpgUS2124048_Page2.jpgUS2124048_Page3.jpgUS2124048_Page4.jpgUS2124048_Page5.jpg

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Hoping someone can help me with this mid century modern curved sectional

As for selling, once you find out who made it and establish a price, it would need to be listed. Any listing would, should be for local pickup only, very costly to ship. If shipped, it would be on the buyer to make arrangements for pickup and shipping.  We can't make recommendations on whom to sell it through.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply