cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice for a 'Newbie'?

Recently opened an eBay account and began posting items I no longer need or use around my home. Clutter elimination was the impetus for this new adventure! I'm no longer working and my husband is nearing retirement (or so he says! :D) and I need to get rid of a lot of items so we can downsize to a condo from a 3 BR home. I have sold a few items in the past couple of months but I'm looking for tips and advice on selling online.

Feel free to message me if you'd like to help me get my skills up to par! Anyone near southeast Michigan interested in meeting for coffee to discuss ideas or tips?

Maybe a Zoom! meeting if there is no one local who can help is also possible if anyone is interested.

Thanks for allowing me to join the group! Can't wait to sell the rest of this stuff so I can start treasure hunting for more stuff to sell! ;D

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Any advice for a 'Newbie'?

Hi there,

I'd be happy to answer any questions I can that you may have. I could write a book with the advice I'd give new sellers. 😂 We are actually a husband & wife team that is working towards my hubby being able to retire in 2024. I'm in Central MI (SE of Lansing) & would love to make reselling friends.

As far as some basic tips:

* Take good pics with proper lighting & use PhotoRoom to whiteout the background (4 pics minimum for each item) Make sure you get pics of anything you'd want to see if you were shopping for that item.

* The first 5 words of your title are the most important as that's all that's seen on most mobile devices. I use the basic formula of MAKER + NAME + SIZE for the start of all my listings. Also, while eBay recognizes abbreviations like VTG as "vintage" for search results, most buyers have no idea what our shortcuts mean. If you used them, write them out in the description. (NWOT = New without Tags/OOAK=One of a Kind/etc.)

* While sold comps are important, don't ignore current listing comps when pricing. Just because it sold for $40 a month ago doesn't lock that in as the value. If there are 100 others listed, you have to be more competitive than if there are only 2 or 3 others listed. (Scarcity adds value.)

* Use Google Lens/Google Search to find sales of the item on different sites to get a complete idea of the item's value.

Welcome to the group and to the world of reselling. 😁

Message 2 of 2
latest reply