cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Ivory...

From Kovel’s online newsletter:

Beware the ban on ivory!

Beware! You may not be able to buy or sell anything of any age that is made totally or partially of ivory. Everything from a piano to a button. AAll import, export, resale or donation of items that contain ivory less than 100 years old from African elephants was banned by Executive Order from President Obama on Feb. 11, 2014. The ban will be carried out by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. This means that almost everything made from ivory after 1914 can no longer legally be sold or donated in the United States after May 31, 2014. To prove ivory is antique requires special forms and appraisals that may not exist, especially if the ivory was inherited.

Auctioneers, collectors, dealers, artists, musicians, museums, and others are concerned. We checked Kovels’ online price guide and found many pieces that can no longer be bought or sold because at least part of the object is made of ivory. See the list below.

For more detailed information, go to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service’s International Affairs page and also read this Forbes article.

There are several existing laws impacted by this ivory ban. To make your thoughts known, contact your U.S. Senator or Representative or visit the Fish & Wildlife Service’s website and either email officials there via the ”Email” link on the right side of the homepage or use the social media links at the top of the page.

Live African elephants will still be protected by the law that forbids import or export of recently harvested ivory.

These are some of the pieces using antique ivory that will be illegal to sell: accordions, bookends, boxes, buttons, calling-card cases, canes, carved elephant tusks, chess pieces, crucifixes, cuff links, decorative screens, dice, doctor’s dolls, fans with ivory sticks, figurines, flatware, fountain pens, furniture with ivory inlay, game pieces, guitars, hair combs, handguns, incense burners, inros, jars, jewelry (including pins, bracelets, beads, necklaces and earrings), knife handles, knitting needles, letter openers, magnifying glass handles, mahjong tiles, miniatures, Nantucket baskets, netsukes, page turners, pianos, puzzle balls, rifles, rondelles, scrimshaw, sewing boxes, shaving-brush handles, ship models, snuff bottles, tankards, tea and coffee pots with ivory insets in the handles (they keep the handles cool), trinket boxes, umbrella handles, urns, vases and more.

………………..

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Selling Ivory...

I just watched a documentary after Bill Maher two weeks ago on HBO about how the rhinos are killed for their horns.  Sadly, nothing seems to stop poachers.  The horn can be harvested without killing the animal, but in the documentary, you could see they cut the horn off down to the skin and left the animal to die an agonizing death.  Brutal. 

I'm on the fence.  As an animal lover, I hate to see the suffering and extinction of so many animals.  But I remember growing up in the 60s ivory was so commonplace, so much cheap jewelry was made from it.  The older ivory is already here, and the damage is done.  I have picked it up when it was sold as costume. I guess this is best to protect the animals, but what are people supposed to do with the older ivory?  Perhaps a museum in the style of the Native American museum in Washington, DC, is in order.  I won't ruin it for those who have not been there, but the third floor is chilling.  I think a museum dedicated to species destruction with exhibits of why they are endangered or on the verge of extinction could teach future generations a great deal. 

Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Selling Ivory...

Here is an interesting thread on this subject that we had in February.

Ivory Discussion

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Selling Ivory...

This may help. This link provides all the information on FAQ's. Just click on the + sign to expand the answers...https://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Selling Ivory...

" jewelry (including pins, bracelets, beads, necklaces and earrings),"

what about rings that you wear on your hand?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply