Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Help ID Makers Name on Antique Art Deco Fountain Brooch

mark

Message 3 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Here is an interesting antique deco brooch.  It has two tiny mark on the bar pin. I though perhaps the second was PT900 but this seems very light for platinum and has rhinestone.  There is also an intials marks or name that end in em?  I think marked portion is original but if you have any comments about if the barrel pin would be a later addtion, makers ID, or what type of stone or rhinestone any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply

pin

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

front

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

back

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

In one photo it looks like it says 925M.  Just wondered if you'd asked on the jewelry board.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May the wind be always at your back.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

It's marcasite, not rhinestones. Reasonable quality examples were usually on silver. It looks to be period, I'd not worry about the maker, it is what it is.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I have sold a lot of costume jewelry it seems like its all in the name, I had two shriner of new york milk glass pins, one marked sold for $400 the unmarked was a dud

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Hi,

I cannot read the mark but I can tell you that this brooch is NOT from the Art Deco time period. It is a revival piece made in Europe in the last 40 years----or last week. It is pretty but not antique----

Regards,

Pat

jewelry research logo

Costume Jewelry History
And Jewelry Marks

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I agree with patsify...  From the texture on the back to the roughness (as opposed to fineness) of the decoration details on the front, this looks like a modern repro.  Still nice design, but not original to the Deco period.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

anything you can base that on? Clasp is correct and it does shows wear and patina consistant with an antique, maybe hard to see in the pictures but more evident under 10x magnification. Thanks!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I agree with Pat.

The marcasites are glued in, the texture on the back is a newer feature and the trombone clasp is still used today with European makers.

The large center stone looks like a newer setting.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Hi,

A lot of this sterling and marcasite jewelry was made in the 1980's. This is not old but 30 years of wear might make it look older to an inexperienced eye. I have seen a great deal of early 20th Century jewelry and this was not made then.

Regards,

Pat

jewelry research logo

Costume Jewelry History
And Jewelry Marks

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I also agree with the people saying this is 1980's to today.  The glued-in marcasites, widely spaced apart, the glued center stone in a faux bezel, and textured back are characteristics of recent jewelry.  Art Deco period marcasite sterling has heat-set or bead-set marcasites closely placed, is smooth backed, and is generally marked "sterling", not 925.  Cabochon stones would have been bezel set.

I'm wondering if the other word partially stamped on the edge toward the right is CHINA.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply