cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

Do you consider a piece of jewelry to be FINE based on the metal or the stone? 

Would you consider a 18k Yellow Gold ring with a cubic zirconia to be fine or fashion? 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

@jeff-second-chance-silver wrote:

Would you consider a 18k Yellow Gold ring with a cubic zirconia to be fine or fashion? 

I would be wondering why some one set a CZ in 18kt gold.....

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

I see it all the time and the question has not been answered. Even if it was 14k or even 10k gold. When i think of fashion jewelry I think of worthless garbage and Im pretty sure most people agree. Fashion jewelry is cheap throw away crap.  

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

It appears that, from the way I read the new rules, briefly, a Zirconia  will turn even the finest gold piece into Fashion jewelry.

I always reserve the right to be wrong 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

Your 100% correct, but does that make sense or will it only cause major confusion when a buyer is looking under "Fashion jewelry" for a gold or sterling piece of jewelry. 

FASHION JEWELRY is considered cheap garbage jewelry and should solely be reserved for Plated, Filled and  Non precious metals.   

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

I see it all the time and the question has not been answered. Even if it was 14k or even 10k gold. When i think of fashion jewelry I think of worthless garbage and Im pretty sure most people agree. Fashion jewelry is cheap throw away crap.  

What we think dont mater :

Ebays playground: its junk to ebay for sure..... so if have such, look for a different venue...

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

To add to this:

I think this fine jewelry is going to be flooded with the china junk so called gold on silver stuff.

To easy to do with the guidelines the way they are....

As for the rest it was not thought out very well as usual for eBay...

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

Correct and it will be listed along side actual "Plated gold over copper" Chinese garbage. Plus it will be thrown into yet another way overpopulated category or as ebay calls it "streamlined" 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

By all rights, any solid gold jewelry should be fine jewelry, but under eBay's new guidelines your ring is classified as "fashion".  This makes no sense at all.  Worse than that, it could even be solid gold with a GENUINE, UNTREATED gemstone and still be classified as "fashion" jewelry because gems like natural white topaz don't make the cut in eBay's eyes.  It sounds like your ring should sell for over $100...yet a $10 silver pendant with a cheap garnet is just fine to call fine jewelry.  These guidelines need to be changed immediately.

For your specific case, I will offer one more thought as a former brick and mortar fine jewelry store owner for 40 years.  Some jewelers and jewelry manufacturers temporarily set CZs in their solid gold settings and semi-mounts in order to show and sell them better.  Customers sometimes have trouble envisioning what a diamond would look like in the setting, or the jewelers just don't want to have blank prongs in their showcases.

Take a look to see if there are actually seats cut in the prongs and the CZ is permanently set.  They may just be pinched over the stone...some manufacturers even actually glue the CZs in place.  If the gem is not permanently set, you could carefully unset the CZ.  Without the CZ in place, your ring magically turns into fine jewelry in eBay's eyes.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

@idealgems1 wrote:

By all rights, any solid gold jewelry should be fine jewelry, but under eBay's new guidelines your ring is classified as "fashion".  This makes no sense at all.  Worse than that, it could even be solid gold with a GENUINE, UNTREATED gemstone and still be classified as "fashion" jewelry because gems like natural white topaz don't make the cut in eBay's eyes.  It sounds like your ring should sell for over $100...yet a $10 silver pendant with a cheap garnet is just fine to call fine jewelry.  These guidelines need to be changed immediately.

For your specific case, I will offer one more thought as a former brick and mortar fine jewelry store owner for 40 years.  Some jewelers and jewelry manufacturers temporarily set CZs in their solid gold settings and semi-mounts in order to show and sell them better.  Customers sometimes have trouble envisioning what a diamond would look like in the setting, or the jewelers just don't want to have blank prongs in their showcases.

Take a look to see if there are actually seats cut in the prongs and the CZ is permanently set.  They may just be pinched over the stone...some manufacturers even actually glue the CZs in place.  If the gem is not permanently set, you could carefully unset the CZ.  Without the CZ in place, your ring magically turns into fine jewelry in eBay's eyes.

CZ aint on da list of fine jewelry stones... so its got to go to the fashion category.....

Without the stones one might be able to list it under fine: yet a ring with sets removed is parts....

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

So would under da new rules this be fashion of fine???

AP1060816.jpgAP1060820.jpg

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

@momdadsstash wrote:

It appears that, from the way I read the new rules, briefly, a Zirconia  will turn even the finest gold piece into Fashion jewelry.

I always reserve the right to be wrong 

You realize that CZ and Zirconia aren't the same thing?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

Cubic Zirconia has no natural counterpart.  Zircon that is a natural gemstone.  I am pretty sure there is no synthetic zircon; simulated blue zircon is typically a synthetic spinel.

As to the other question, are we not allowed to sell unmounted settings and semi-mounts as jewelry?  Honestly asking because if not I'm going to have to set some stones in my retirement...

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

@idealgems1 wrote:

As to the other question, are we not allowed to sell unmounted settings and semi-mounts as jewelry?  Honestly asking because if not I'm going to have to set some stones in my retirement...

If an item is not complete it should be sold as findings or parts.... This of course is an opinion...

Such in the old days is the way such was done.. 

If an item is worth fixing: best to do so to have a complete item...If not well then scrap, or the part bin.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Fashion or Fine Jewelry

That's weird.  In 40 years in the industry, findings have always been clasps, heads, pinstems, earring posts, clutches, etc.  You know...findings!  Semi-mounts are made by fine jewelry manufacturers...the ones I have left are by www.hlmfg.com   , www.ostbye.com ,  www.kattanjewelry.com , and other  manufacturers; most of which don't sell findings. 

But I have enough diamonds and gems to set them up if I have to.  Thanks for your help!

Message 15 of 17
latest reply