cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZOLOTAS octopus

Good evening! So before you wonder if I did a search, yes, here is what I found that just confused me, the marks: 950,...236,...10...ZOLOTAS......and a few other smaller marks that even with a glass I cannot read,the 950 can refer to 2 different metals, which one is this? ( non magnetic overall) ...the prominent "10" no idea. The 236, again, none. When I research ZOLOTAS, it brings me to a bing search that has it ZOLOTAS,  New York and Greece. How do I differenciate? Thank You all again, V76IMG_6362.JPGIMG_6363.JPGIMG_6364.JPG

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

ZOLOTAS octopus

A simple search on Ebay brought up this one that says greece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTIBLE-GREEK-BROOCH-PIN-ANCIENT-OCTOPUS-ZOLOTAS-950-STERLING-SILVER-/28...
You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

Well, Bucks, I ( again) did a bing search, and not an ebay, as a seller really no real excuse, again focused on the numerical meanings rather than the item as a simple search, I got completely wrapped up in the metal, and other numbers.. ugh, I am very surprised it did not come up, and will walk the walk of shame, if there were a solved button I would press it. I do however question the sanity of that seller, I cannot fathom what they are thinking, again, anyone can ask anything, for anything. If it were pure gold it wouldn't hold that kind of value. Most humbly thankful, V76

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

As an ebay seller  myself,,, I always check Ebay first,,,then go looking other places,,,

1. You get to know what price range it's going for on here

2. As far as that seller goes...they are in Greece ,,,So I would IMHO think they know their grecian stuff.

If I had this piece in my hand and had no clue where to start I would have first typed in 

" Coins "  in the search function under "jewelry", then looked to see what kind of coins were similiar and go from there.

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

Well taken and appreciated, it amazes me the things I overlook, teaches me to retire! ( and post prematurely,,) Best, V76

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

Good evening, I have just looked at in earnest the link, yes, absolutely the same piece, but the marks on mine are much more descriptive, so, you're thinking ZOLOTAS NYC? That would mesh with where I bought it, the same sale as a few other easily identifiable pieces, Thank You for that link, V76

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

The octopus is a classic Aegean image, been used in their pottery since the Minoan era, if not earlier (I actually have a Minoan octopus tattoo on my back lol)  This looks Aegean to me, so Greek.  not sure how the Zolotas NY is different from teh Zolotas Greece?

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

The marks are different, but the piece is identical, ( and I still have no idea what the "10" "236" mean, the 950 has been answered here,.... we've been staring at them side by side using the link that Bucks gave, ( Thank you!) I actually put this aside from a box I quickly found Trifari and Tiffany in, focused on the big names,.. sat there for many months, I have been reading the history of what peoples have this as a part of their culture, it's really interesting! I still though cannot see the value bar set by the other listing, more research on the designer... I LOVE that vase btw...Thank You! V76

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

the 236 may be a mold number?

I use google, and only came up with the Greek jewelry company Zolotas.  Their stuff looks fairly high end

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

I haven't researched this designer but compared the link piece to yours. If identical, they'd be made from a cast. If handwrought, there would be nuances, slight or overt, depending on what the artist intented, and in either case finishing details can vary. For example, notice the placement of the pin-stems in these two examples. If you look closely, you will see they are not in identical locations, and on my monitor the color of finishes look different.

Does yours need a repair? I can't tell if the pinstem has broken off, or I just can't see it due to the angle of the camera when photo was taken. I've taken mystery photos that make an open pinstem invisible, so I know it can happen. 

The other numbers on back of yours may be inventory or design numbers. One may refer to the design, the other to the number of pieces made of that design. Just guessing here. It would not be uncommon, but wouldn't explain why the only numbers on the other one are for silver finest.

Location doesn't seem relevant to me since designers frequently sell from more than one location, though I know you'd like to find out as much as possible about your piece. I'm curious too. If you find out where it was made or more about the designer, please return to share the information.

Thank you for posting. I think it's a wonderful design.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

Yes, it is missing the pin, the assembly is there, but , sadly, the pin is elsewhere...I actually think it is jostling in the bag of tidbits that came out of that particular box, now that I now it has the potential to be a great piece, I will dig out and sift through..I am still searching, but finding little on the other marks, the suggested translations make sense, I wish you could have this in hand, in the right hands I am certain the most slight details would be brought to light, tiny clues that only years of handling jewelry would uncover. My sight cannot still see 2 tiny marks, even with the strongest glass, it is very frustrating. Is it common to send pieces off to knowledgeable members to evaluate? I would be willing to do so, my antiques guy here in Albany might offer something, in good faith of course, very reputable, but I don't like going into a sale as blind as I am with this piece. V76

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

ZOLOTAS octopus

I have just heard back from ZOLOTAS, Athens Greece,  and it is as follows.." It is 950 silver, gold plated, cut out form of an octopus. It is an exact copy from the museum piece, and for accuracy it ( the museum piece) is from the middle of the 16th century BC from Mycenae." Very interesting, and you all basically nailed it!  Regards, V76

Message 13 of 13
latest reply