cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who am I? What culture/art time period/artist am I?

I found this at the thrift shop today....I fell in love with its crazy self.  No marks whatsoever anywhere, looks like it should be MOMA to me, but not marked.

Any thoughts on this?  I am guessing time periods 1980s-1990s.  Thank you.  

Vorpal Sword (640x622).jpg

Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I would have picked it up, too, Marko.  It's cool!  First impression is that it looks Picasso-esque to me.  But sorry, I've not seen anything like it before so I can't shed much light on it.  It would be so much easier if they made a law for jewelry makers to sign everything! 

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I would have picked it up too!

Would be company for this one I recently found:

IMG_20160525_104359.JPG

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

It does look like something Alva Studios/Museum Replicas would have made.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I love it when you can put a history to a piece, even if it isn't signed.  Good job OCN.  I would have picked this up in a heart beat.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I was researching art cultures and periods into the wee hours last night.  I did think it fell into the Celtic Britain iron age era.... Boudica crossed my mind, but I couldn't find a rendering of this.  OCN, you are the bomb!!! Amazing sleuthing job, thank you so much!

Yeah, I found a newish thrift shop only open three days a week pretty far from me, but this made it worth it.  Thanks again!!!!

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

You're welcome 🙂

I can empathize with how challenging research has become.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I love seeing the great finds that are listed here and I learn so much.  Ditto!  I would have bought it too!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Thanks.  It was worth a whole dollar- crazy thing made my day!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I would have picked it up for a dollar if I had seen it. Did you test to see if it is gold or not? Color looks right for gold and not all pieces are marked I have found a number of items at thrift stores with out marks. some older custom made items tend to not have marks. Does the pin on the back look like it was added after or was made at the same time.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I tested it, it is that matte metal they used a lot in the 80s, early 90s.  It is all original, the back is not matte, but shiny goldtone.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Might be Scythian. The Metropolitan Museum did some jewelry from a Scythian exhibit back in the 70s also in that matte goldtone. Like the Celts, the Scythians had women warriors and they might have inspired the legends of Amazons. Unlike the Celts, they fought mounted rather than using chariots.

flotsamlogo
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Pre-Roman Etruscan art.  I have seen statues like that in museums in Italy (only made of green bronze).

Message 14 of 14
latest reply