cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Kind of Shell is This?

Good Afternoon to all!!!

I know nothing about shell jewelry.  Some is valuable, some not, but I have some that was in a mixed lot I purchased at an auction.  So, it's time to learn a bit about shells, right?

I have this pair of older clip on sterling earrings, see photos.  The shells are small, beige, with white swirly stuff here and there.  I think there shells...  I also have a necklace, same shells, don't think it's sterling though.  Can one of you point me in the right direction?  Many thanks!!!

100_0025.JPG100_0024.JPG100_0023.JPG

Photobucket
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Any chance it could be Mother of Pearl?

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I have no clue.  Now the necklace I think does have MOP spacers.  I stuck them in the photo booth and am adding a picture.

270986F6-08B5-4BD4-901D-A138591264C8.jpeg

Photobucket
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I agree with Sarah that they're probably mother of pearl.  They use different parts of the shell to make different shaped beads.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I have to agree.  This does makes sense.  

I was going to say it looks like they cut shells down into smaller pieces.  I’ve never seen a natural shell that looks quite like this.  

Mermaid 🐳

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yup, y’all nailed it.  They make a MOP bead from part of the shell.  Looked it up a different way and finally found something similar.  

The earrings are older and sterling, now I’m wondering if I should marry them and offer as a set.   Hmmmm.

Thanks!

Photobucket
Message 6 of 6
latest reply