cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volemus, is this the ring you described?

Volemus talked about a glass cube ring set on point that had interesting internal characteristics on another thread.  That sounded familiar so I went jool diving and found what I think might be the same or similar ring.  From different angles it's completely clear and then shapes and color move through it as it moves.  The faceting on all the edges creates a pretty neat effect.  I think it's set in aluminum?  It's a fun ring.  Here are some pictures of it.  I polished it up AFTER I took the pics.  Looks much better now Smiley Very Happy.  Is this the ring you described, Volemus?

cubering4.jpg

cubering11.jpg

cubering10.jpg

cubering8.jpg

cubering7.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Setting was different (was very simple, sat on the hand like a diamond solitaire) but yep, stone was same - except I dont remember there being any clear spots in it from the top view. Cool beans - never thought I'd see anything like it again. Thanks for sharing!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I love these cube stones.  Vendome did a set out of them.  The cubes weren't set on an angle like this ring.  It's a fascinating stone, a disco ball only in cube form.  

SB227-1.jpg

They are really hard to photograph.  Dream's pictures shows the changing of the colors very nicely.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Sarah Coventry made a ring like that called Magic Ice. Do not see any listed on eBay at the moment but a Google or Pinterest search should bring it up.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Sandy, thanks for showing that beautiful set.  Leave it to Vendome to create the most interesting settings using the most unusual stones.  Lori, thanks for the name of the similar piece made by SC.  I'll check from time to time to see if any come up for auction.  Volemus, what I like most about that cube is that if you look at it from certain angles it appears completely clear, then suddenly it bursts with color.  Thanks for jogging my memory about this ring.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Just out of curiosity, does the play of color come from the stone "refracting" light, or does the stone "reflect" the colors around it (e.g., the color of clothes the person taking the photo is wearing). Interesting.

I am finding it as "Cosmic Muse Mystic Fire CZ," also available in a topaz color.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

sheldragon, I think Volemus said in the other post that there's a tiny bit of foil inside the cube that creates the effect, although you can't see it.  It is not picking up exterior color.  The color is definitely coming from within the cube.  Kinda cool!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks, dream! Really cool stone. Too bad it's not natural, if it were I would be on the next stage out with all my digging gear, lol.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Yes, it's just a bit of foil/shiny material applied over the "culet" cut at the bottom where it's glued. Found that out after I broke it, and tried like the dickens to fix it like it used to look.

Sheldragon the mystic topazes do look similar in pics, but in-hand you can see the colors from about any angle because they are surface treated.

Thanks PSB for the notice. I think I've seen those before. Mine was a slightly earlier model (late 60s), maybe if it'd had that little bit of protective caging I might've had it longer. )-;

Message 9 of 9
latest reply