cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Art Glass Scarab Gold Frame Pendant, How old??

I have this very pretty art glass pendant marked 333. It is green and blue with a rosy  9k gold frame. I am thinking German, but have no idea of age. It is not rose gold but has a rosy hue like some Victorian gold has. Or if this type of scarab/glass has a special name? Thanks in advance for any assistance.  Dottie

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I just wanted to add that the chain is modern.  Thanks, Dottie

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Don’t know anything other than it sure is pretty
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Just an FYI the Egyptians make phenomenal glass and have since before the Romans came along.  Their perfume bottles are outstanding and they do make glass beads.  So maybe that is a souvenier piece?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

333 indicates 8k gold, and is typically German. 

The Scarab beetle looks like it is ceramic, or art glass.  I think that it was likely manufactured to give the impression of "Faience", a material used in ancient Egypt for many things, but particularly in the manufacture of the scarabs.

If you compare yours to some of the ancient ones that you can find online, or even the more modern replicas, you will see that the bottoms have some sort of hieroglyphs.

I don't think that your pendant is particularly old.  There was a period in the 1920's-30's, after the discovery of Tut's tomb where all things Egyptian were popular.  I suppose that it is possible that your pendant was made then, but I wouldn't count on it without having some actual provenance...

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Egyptian Revival is a style that cycles around every so often: the Deco-era one was one of several going back into the late 18th century. There was also one in the 1960s - all those ubiquitous scarab bracelets - that IIRC coincided with either a touring exhibit of the Tut treasures (I went with my parents) or the Taylor/Burton Cleopatra movie.

You might be able to ID your pendant from the cartouche on the back, assuming the symbols aren't just random hieroglyphs, or even made-up symbols that you're supposed to think are hieroglyphs. The one on the right is an ankh, which means life, but I can't make the others out.

flotsamlogo
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Agreed.  There are so many of those beads around that I would think that those are just random glyph type figures on the back.  I doubt that it would name the maker. 

Actually, the frame itself is so simple that I wonder if it didn't have something else in there at one point.  Alot of the "Egyptian Revival" stuff tends to be ornate...

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

i-like-it-a-lot.jpg

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for all the helpful comments!  I was able to find very similar colorful scarabs with the scalloped edges high relief using the Egyptial Revival Glass Scarab search. Some are very old brass Art Nouveau looking, some not so old.  I think it will be safe to just say 8k Egyptian Revival with no mention of which revival of the style listed in vintage not antique.  Thanks again for all the help. Dottie

Message 9 of 9
latest reply