cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower Sales This Week? International Shipping???

Just wanted to see how everyone else is doing this week.  Sales seem to have really fell off for me.  Maybe people are getting ready to travel and such???

Used to be, that right after Christmas when I expected a lull there was a surge... Hope that's the same...

Also wanted to know if any of you are doing international shipping.  I've always been apprehensive about it and don't know where to start or if I should start.  Thoughts?

Merry Christmas from NC!!!

Sharon

Photobucket
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

This week two of my three sales went to the UK.  Bet your bippy I do international sales.  It's slowed down to a crawl this week for sure.  Everyone's out shopping, wrapping, baking, and maybe occasionally sleeping.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I considered it before but am really giving it serious thought now.  I read some on Ebay and am still confused.  Maybe I should start with just Canada, UK, Germany or something.  I do the free shipping on most listings so I'm just not sure where and how to start.  Any pointers would be awesome.

Glad to know it wasn't just my store that saw a drop in activity this week.

I've mopped, made fruit salad, finished the last minue stuff and am waiting on the kids to make the drive from Durham here tomorrow.  Expecting my first grandchild in April and am excited out of my mind.  LOL....

Photobucket
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

It was slow for me but that is because I took most of my items off excelpt the .99 ones.  I didn't want to worry about trying to get something shipped in time for Christmas.  Have spent the week relisting over 50 items which will end some on Sunday and Saturday.  So we will see.  I don't do international shipping and have lost a couple of sales becuase I would not accept the bids from other countries. Today I am listing some jewlery lots .  I just have boxes of jewlery and I need to make room for some really nice finds that I have from estate sales and auctions.  So now sorted, and pictures taken..  Nice stuff but not sure if anyone will be interested enough to bid.  We can only hope!  Merry Christmas everyone!  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Everything is down. Not really sure why, but it's not just eBay, I'm hearing lots of complaints from other venues as well.

As for international shipping, if you do it through eBay it's just as easy as domestic. Most of the notion that it's somehow intimidating is just that - a notion. Not real. (Caution: it might be more intimidating if you sell fine jewelry or carat gold - I don't.)

A few things to keep in mind:

You CAN get First Class International postage online if you ship through eBay. It even takes the customs information from your listing.

Don't forget to change the item title on the customs form to something generic like "used fashion accessory."

Never use post office insurance. Use a third party provider like ShipSaver, InsurePost or U-PIC. It's cheaper and doesn't show on the label.

If you do have bad luck with a buyer, remember that people are people the world over - unfortunately, that includes tools. I've seen so many sellers say "I won't ship internationally" or "I won't ship to X country" because of one bad buyer. That makes about as much sense as blocking a whole state or ZIP code because of one tool. It's an individual. Block, share and move on.

INR inquiries - some countries are slow with customs processing (cough cough, Canada). It's useful to have standard information to send to the buyer. Of course, if the buyer's country is one with DELCON the tracking will say. Otherwise, say something like "Your item is most likely held up in Customs. If you can make inquiries from your end, the number is (insert customs no). Your package was insured, so please let me know before (give a date about a week before the PayPal refund deadline) so I can file a claim and issue a refund." If the claim is legit, they'll let you know. If they just panicked too soon, they'll evaporate.

flotsamlogo
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the replies, been reading some this morning before th kids get here...  Still a little confused. 

Can I set it up to where I ship for free in the US but it charges correctly elsewhere?  How?

I only want to ship costume jewelry.  I know there is a first class international for small envelopes...  But don't know weight limits, etc.  I've read several things but am not getting the specifics I need.  Your suggestions are appreciated!

Photobucket
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

It slowed down for me this week, but that being said, I just had my highest sales month ever. 

I use eBay's global shipping program with the exception that I will ship to Canada myself. I have not actually shipped anything I sold to Canada yet though. As far as weight limits on international first class, as long as it is under 4 pounds, your good.  My husband ships internationally with just a few countries excluded and has no problems so far. I do not feel comfortable doing that so I use the GSP. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

LOL, Canada Customs delays. The times I had issues were times when Sellers took it upon themselves to mark the Customs Form "Gift" 😞

I have used ShipSurance /InsurePost and made a claim on an INR. It was easy with the Buyer able to fill in a Digital Affidavit.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Offering international boosts sales in my opinion. Any country that does not offer tracking has to pay an additional 15.00 for registered tracking or no deal. A lot of countries are offering the delcon tracking which is a pleasant bonus Takes the worry out of shipping. Only ever really lost one it me and it went to Ireland.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Getting closer to figuring it out...

Problem One - I never bother to put my weight in when listing on 99.9 percent of what I list... Why, because I offer free shipping on almost everything so to start with I've realized I'll need to put an acutal weight in 70 or more listings...

After I get my weight in I'm going to go with the Global Shipping Program.  So will I have to pick a service (I'm assuming I will for each listing)?  Most are going to be international first class but some would not... 

And last, I have some gold listed right now, gold cannot ship overseas nor would I want it to... Will the GSP recognize this???

Thanks for your help...  Guess my main issue is that I have a lost listed and I don't want to start making changes then get a bid before I get everything updated. 

Photobucket
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Regarding shipping costs, I have mine set up to offer free "standard" shipping within the US, with Priority as a second, paid option. International shipping is a choice between FCI and Priority (small flat rate box for jewelry), both calculated. I always use calculated shipping, hate flat rates. Just have the standard domestic marked free in a check box. However, I have this set up in InkFrog and have no clue any more where you'd do it in eBay.

flotsamlogo
Message 11 of 11
latest reply