cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver sash pin ID help

Picked up this brooch because it was stamped Sterling. Size and shape looks like a sash pin, but construction is later than Victorian. I want to think the design is from some French artwork... though I might be thinking of "Rebecca at the well" cameos. Has anybody got a clue?

Sterling sashpin.jpg

Sterling sashpin back.jpg

Looks like I need to clean some old gunky silver polish out of it too.

flotsamlogo
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Silver sash pin ID help

Is that a makers mark above the word sterling?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Silver sash pin ID help

No, that's an open space.

flotsamlogo
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Silver sash pin ID help

What does the side of the hinge and clasp look like?

To me this looks cast combined with the STERLING Stamp, my guess is early to mid 20th Century.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Silver sash pin ID help

JMHO, but I don't think you can call it a sash pin because it is clearly newer than when they were made. That said, it is a sweet silver pin and I am sure you will have no problem selling it 🙂

Also, she looks like she is holding a flat basket of something, Rebecca at the well would have some kind of jug.

She is sweet!
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Silver sash pin ID help

Didn't think it WAS a sash pin, only the size and shape. And agree with OCN about date; hinge and catch look pretty typical, only the pinstem is a tad on the skinny side. There's a slight bend in it - people WILL try to jam pins through thick wool lapels.

There's just something funny about it - not only does the design give me the feeling I OUGHT to recognize it, but the back doesn't seem to match the front, KWIM? It makes the back of my brain itch.

flotsamlogo
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Silver sash pin ID help

Maybe the pin back is a replacement, if so it may well be old enough to be a sash pin.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Silver sash pin ID help

Doesn't look replaced, unfortunately. No sign of solder or old findings being removed. Design almost looks like it ought to be a detail from a painting, but it rings no bells.

flotsamlogo
Message 8 of 8
latest reply