cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a piece, maybe dark or missing rhinestones. Anyone here do that?

Just wondering.  I need someone to send such items to, which I either want to sell, or keep.

Easy fixes, for someone who knows how to match rhinestone colors, shapes, sizes.  Either glued or prong set.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I do lots of repairs but I usually do sterling and gemstones.  No costume pieces.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Glued-in stones are easy to do yourself; all you need are small calipers (for determining stone sizes), a tube of GS Hypo Cement (I get mine at JoAnn), and a source of rhinestones (try PrettySnazzy.com). Get your feet wet with clear rhinestones first. You can order a set of Swarovski color samples from an online bead store for matching colors.

There's a Facebook group for restoring and repairing costume jewelry; some of the things they do are amazing and they have a lot of useful information under their Files tab.

flotsamlogo
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

And while at Joann's pick up a pair of jewelry plyers for the prongs. Unless you have problems with your hands, most repairs are easy once you get some practice.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I forgot about needlenoses. I actually have several pairs, some when I snaffled DH's old modelbuilding tools, and a couple of even narrower ones I got at the jewelry-making supply place where I get my gift boxes. Also a knife for lifting prongs - though I'm always afraid of cracking the plating.

Now if I can just quit yakking about it and start DOING...

flotsamlogo
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I find a surgical scalpel a really useful tool for lifting prongs.  Thin enough to easily slip under the prong, yet strong enough to lift.

The facebook site you mentioned is Repair, Repurpose, Restore Vintage Costume Jewelry.  A wealth of really useful and inspirational information there.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Ironically there IS such a tool as a prong puller but before you can use it you need to use something ELSE to get the prongs or bezel started.  Just be gentle.  If there are multiple stones and you break a prong, you need to remove ALL the other stones before you can solder the prong back on or put on a new one.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Frankly, I don't want to learn how to do it myself, on costume jeweley.  I tried once, long ago, and just don't have the patience or finesse, to do it. I'd rather pay someone else who knows what to do.  And only for certain items, not everything.  Certain may be high-end, and needs a stone here or there to restore. Older or newer items.

Stuff set in gold, I have covered due to where I work.  Sterling, too.

Bagettes, in general, even set in gold, or old Trifari or Pell pieces, are just more intricate work, to do right.

But for example, I have a high end vintage costume clip on earrings item, which is prong set costume.  Needs a few specific stones.

Just sitting.  Stuff like that. I'd rather pay someone to restore. Just need to find that connection for items that come my way.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@woodw_sandr wrote:

I find a surgical scalpel a really useful tool for lifting prongs.  Thin enough to easily slip under the prong, yet strong enough to lift.

The facebook site you mentioned is Repair, Repurpose, Restore Vintage Costume Jewelry.  A wealth of really useful and inspirational information there.

I use an Xacto knife from Michaels Crafts Store.  Just to get it in that seam to get it all started.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Exacto/surgical blades work well but you really MUST bear in mind that those thin blades are not engineered to be used to lift prongs. The blades will snap if you apply too much pressure flexing them from side to side. You could easily get a blade fragment in your eye if you're not wearing safety glasses.

Please --- they're just rhinestones --- they're not worth risking an eye. Use safety glasses!

(and thus I remind myself as well...)

A.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I once used Rhinestone Rosie to repair a couple of higher end pieces.  The work was done well and the price was not too bad.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@thirry wrote:

Exacto/surgical blades work well but you really MUST bear in mind that those thin blades are not engineered to be used to lift prongs. The blades will snap if you apply too much pressure flexing them from side to side. You could easily get a blade fragment in your eye if you're not wearing safety glasses.

Please --- they're just rhinestones --- they're not worth risking an eye. Use safety glasses!

(and thus I remind myself as well...)

A.

Totally! but you have to use the thing NOT designed for it before you can use the thing that IS designed for it.  I use it to get started but not for the whole removal process. THAT I HAVE broken blades doing. Wont risk it again.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply