cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT: Seller Cancelled Auction After I Won & Paid

Last night I won the bid on a pin (I was the only bidder). She emailed me this morning to say she'd cancelled and that she was going to relist the pin as a BIN and that I cojud bid on it then.

I paid immediately upon the end of the auction and the $$ was debited from my checking account overnight.

Do I smell a rat or am I being paranoid? The seller has 100% positive feedback.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

I just sold 32 pairs of earrings for 4.99 which included shipping.  Only one bid and I'm shipping them out today.  Sometimes you just don't get the interest or bids.  After reading all the comments I agree that calling ebay is a must.  Also leaving a neg. feed back is important.  That will show on her feedback results for a year.  A short message on the feed back why it is a neg.  That is important to do since no one needs to deal with a seller like that.    We used to have a rusty tool shed for sellers and buyers,  Maybe we need to start a thread for that again.

Message 31 of 43
latest reply

The plot thickens. I got an email from the seller this morning apologizing for "the problem" (being very non-specific) and that she "doesn't know where my payment went".

Well, on my end it went through perfectly normal on my end, through PP and then my checking account. Until things changed with PP and it now shows she tried to cancel being paid.

I copied and pasted the PP transaction directly from my account (which showed her attempt to cancel) and emailed it in my reply. I didn't make any other comments.

All this because she couldn't do the right thing to begin with. I guess it will be a learning experience for her. Sad, because the dollar amount is not worth the grief and I don't really need another pin. Good thing it wasn't intended to be a Christmas present.

Message 32 of 43
latest reply

A few things...  a screen shot is better than a copy and paste.  Is this a new seller?  New sellers sometimes have to claim their money.  She may not know that.  Did she relist the item like she said she would?  Has the money been returned to your account?  If it hasn't been, the transaction is still live and you can open an item not received in a few days.  I still don't know how the seller thinks she cancelled the transaction without filing a correct reason for the cancellation?

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 33 of 43
latest reply

@dream*peddler wrote:

A few things...  a screen shot is better than a copy and paste.  Is this a new seller? 

With a screen shot I couldn't edit out my bank acct. #. The copy and paste worked perfectly.

New sellers sometimes have to claim their money.  She may not know that. 

Not a new seller, has well over 500 FBs.

Did she relist the item like she said she would? 

No. She can't because the sale is still logged as a done deal on Ebay.

Has the money been returned to your account?

No. Because she has not "accepted" the money, and tried to cacel doing so on PP. I don't what that looks like from the seller's end.

If it hasn't been, the transaction is still live and you can open an item not received in a few days.  I still don't know how the seller thinks she cancelled the transaction without filing a correct reason for the cancellation?

As soon as she emailed me that there was "a problem" (being very non-specific) I emailed her back Ebay's policy on a seller cancelling after the fact (another copy & paste. I'm the quennof c & p).

It's all explained in my previous posts. Did you not read them?

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

Yes I read them.  Did you read mine?  I was only trying to help.  Nevermind...

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

Yes, sometimes it is a gamble.  If you know that there is value involved, best to do an auction with a minimum starting bid and also offer a BIN option as well.  Some people do not pay attention to how their listing is set up especially if they are new to eBay.  I recently purchased a carved rose for .07¢ with free shipping.  I also picked up a vintage signed rhinestone and gold bracelet for only .25¢ with $3.50 shipping.  Obviously, losses for the seller but that is where they take the chance listing them with so low of starting prices.

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

On a screen shot you can use the "eraser" to get rid of bank info, or cut out that small section. I love paint even though it's pretty obsolete these days innocent

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

Another email from the seller today. She has "resolved the problem and the pin will be mailed tomorrow". 

Hooray! I'm glad this is over with. For her sake, mainly. As for feedback, I'd go with leaving no FB than a negative.  It's Christmas, after all. 

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

Good heavens.  I hope the pin arrives safe and sound. 

eBay customer service people can see all the emails buyers and sellers exchange through eBay.  If someone sends you a message through eBay telling you they're doing something contrary to eBay policy they're literally putting it right out there in plain sight for eBay to see.

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

Dream, I understood your confusion, completely.  I have been on eBay, using PayPal to receive payments for over 15 years.  I have recieved payments from credit cards, out of PayPal balances, from bank accounts, and even internationl exchange payments, all through Paypal and have never had to "accept" a payment.  They have all automatically been added to my PayPal balance.  I too was confused when reading about this case, so don't feel bad.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 40 of 43
latest reply

I remember a long while ago there was an option to do with eChecks or was it International Currency or both where there was a setting to manually accept. Was this an International purchase?
Message 41 of 43
latest reply

I don't how the seller accept/not-accepted thing works on PP but in this case she tried to cancel the sale immediately when she realized she'd sold a pin for 99 cents. 

Here's how it went...

I have a customized search set up for Vintage pins. It defualts to "Ending Soon" ( I know I can change that). So I see this pin I like that was ending in a couple of minutes and I bid on it, with less that two minutes to go. Won it, which kind of surprised me as I expect some automotic bid-thing to snipe at the last second.

Anyway, I paid immediately, like I always do, and would in any store. So I guess the seller thought she was home free and could relist it for higher $$. And she panicked when she realized she'd just sold a pin for 99 cents.

Here is the pin. It's not even that special, just nice. (in Sold listings)

Large Gold Tone Flower Pin with Rhinestone Center

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

Thanks, Sandy.  I was only trying to bring a little clarity to the situation.  

Message 43 of 43
latest reply