cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT Getting Hijacked on this board

What is Mixed Content?
When a user visits a page served over HTTP, their connection is open for eavesdropping and man-in-the-middle (MITM) attacks. When a user visits a page served over HTTPS, their connection with the web server is authenticated and encrypted with SSL and hence safeguarded from eavesdroppers and MITM attacks.

However, if an HTTPS page includes HTTP content, the HTTP portion can be read or modified by attackers, even though the main page is served over HTTPS. When an HTTPS page has HTTP content, we call that content “mixed”. The webpage that the user is visiting is only partially encrypted, since some of the content is retrieved unencrypted over HTTP. The Mixed Content Blocker blocks certain HTTP requests on HTTPS pages.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

????????

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Mixed content pages are common. Some of the pieces are encrypted and some aren't, especially if they allow advertising or they're searchable like this one. These boards aren't private; posts can be googled. Most regular users on this page would pick up on a MITM problem pretty quickly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I am using Chrome Browser. About a month ago I was having issues staying logged in but no issues lately beyond slower response /loading when using tap commands and accessing keyboard.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Hmmmmm???  Seems funny I signed out of the browndog ID and signed in with a different but still shows post from browndog ID

WHATS UP!!!!!

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Top of page says "Hi (my seller user name)" but when i post it uses a different user.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If you are wanting to change the id you are posting to the boards with, you have to log out of the board where it says "sign out".  Your eBay sign in where it says "Hi and your seller name" is not the same as where you sign on to the boards.  They are different.So you have to sign out of both and sign in to both. 

Thanks to everly for suppling a link to the MITM.  And you are right, the people here would have been very much aware if that were going on here. 

I hope everyone does know that they can edit there own posts, if it's done in a timely manner.  Other than that, I'm not aware of some one else being able to edit another person's post.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I just signed out of both eBay and the board on my flipping_treasures id and signed back in, first into eBay and then on to the board with my jools id and had no problem.  This has to be done by logging out of the board and then out of eBay and then log in to eBay with the different id and then the board with the same id.  At least that is the only way it works for.  I also edited my post above which you can see has an edit line added to the post by flipping_treasures, so people are able to see when a post has been edited.  Hope this helps. 

Sandy
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yup! Exactly as Sandy Indicated it is best to be signed in with same ID for ebay and community. This jogged my memory about wanting to Bid on an item and wanting to post on Boards. It gave my cache a big headache and me too!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Hi all,

I have been assisting browndogsimmons_3 and I assist people in the Computers, Networking & IT board. He definitely has a case of the man-in-the-middle attacks. What I learned was that he had noticed some files that are in Chinese characters in which I suspect the hacker is from China or from another country.

Browndogsimmon's original post here is exactly the same as it is on the Computers, Networking & IT board. But it is strange to see his orignal post show up here as well.

Joolnoodler is correct that after you sign out, off this board, you also have to sign out at the main eBay. Although, you really don't have to sign out of this board first before signing off at the main eBay. When you sign out at the main eBay, it will automatically sign you out of this board.

flipping_treasures, the case may be true of what you mentioned, but this is a little tricky of how this actually works. For example, say I log into the main eBay as "daffy duck" (Just a guess name) and I come onto this board and I log in as "goofy goose". If I log out of this board under that ID, "goofy goose", and come back on the board as "goofy goose", yes I will see the "daffy duck" account still logged in. But yes, you should only use one of your accounts to log in. Don't use more than one to log in. It is true that some people will get confused over that.

old.crows.nest, you are probably already aware that Google owns Chrome browser. Google had an issue with Chrome for a while there. There were a lot of people who say they don't trust or like Chrome because they say that their useage of Chrome was being exposed and being attacked by some unknown source. I have seen a lot of people start using Fire Fox.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

My exclusive Browser on a PC is Firefox but it sucked big time when I tried to use it on my Tablet.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

old.crows.nest,

When people use Fire Fox, they probably were not aware that Mozilla often release updates for it. They will come out newer versions that takes care of issues that people experience. But what I will do is, post a direct weblink from Mozilla for anyone that does use Fire Fox which will help them find out on how to check for new updates for it: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-version

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Or just set it to automatically update. It's under Options > Advanced > Updates.

flotsamlogo
Message 13 of 13
latest reply