cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some opinions on a chunky bead necklace

Mainly, what is the large amber colored bead? Did not react to Simichrome. Do you think it's organic material or some kind of acrylic? Are the dark discs black coral? Thanks for any help!

heishinecklace7.JPG

heishinecklace5.JPG

heishinecklace4.JPG

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

interesting piece, what kind of clasp does it have?  I have seen coconut shell heshi beads like those, and also pen shell heshi, not likely to be black coral.  the turquoise looks real!  not sure about center, amber? 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Maybe copal? 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

No help, dream..but you do find some interesting items!

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Corpal is possible.  Without the piece in hand, t is really hard to tell.  Neat piece.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for your answers, everyone. The clasp isn't much help except that it points to a vintage time frame. I don't think I've ever had Copal, so I've got some looking up to do 😀.  Shell heshis make more sense than coral. Appreciate the help!

heishinecklace3.JPG

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I wanted to say that it is butterscotch amber. However, the dark bands do not propagate into the stone below the surface when you look at the side of the gem. So, this is a concern. I think that it is a base stone that has been coated. Some coatings are very durable (which is good for a jewelry piece).

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I also agree with most likely not black coral.   One more guess.   I have seen heishi beads made from horn that look like this.  

Not sure about the center bead,  but lean towards organic,  because of the side view and also the other natural beads.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for your response @frommichel . I did some research on how to tell the difference between amber and copal and here is one of the tips:

Smell:

After reading that, I rubbed the bead on my palm and it released a very strong scent of pine, so I'm convinced the bead is Copal.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks, mermaid! Another organic material I hadn't thought of. It could very well be horn. Great tip!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply