cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Native American Silver Earrings / Double SNAKE Picto-Marks

I'm wondering if anyone recognizes what looks to me to be a double snake picto-mark on these vintage sterling silver and turquoise earrings. When I look at the picto-marks, I see two snakes / snake heads, each with a single eye and an open mouth.

I've spent quite a bit of time online, searching picto-marks, and Amerindien has a bunch, but these are not among them. The earrings were purchsed at a little shop in So Cal, about 30 years ago.

Any thoughts would be most welcome and appreciated.

113.JPG117.JPG065.JPG083.JPG

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I know it is upside down and if turned around says sterling with the heads popping out from underneath.  That might help if you see something similar.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I know it is upside down and if turned around says sterling with the heads popping out from underneath.  That might help if you see something similar.

Hi!

Yes, it took me a long time to figure things out with those dang marks! At first, I looked at them right-side-up, with the Sterling mark so it could be read, and those unknown marks looked like a pair of "L" marks, i.e., double Ls. Then, I took some close-up pics for posting in my listing, and I zoomed in on the marks and .... whoa! .... It's not a double "L" at all, it's a pair of moccasins! But that didn't seem quite right, either (LOL) so when I had the close-up photos up on my monitor, I flipped the photos 180 degrees, and it was only then that they looked like snakes to me. 

All afternoon long, I've been studying those photos, and I still believe that they are snake heads. I see one eye and an open mouth on each snake, and I can't think what else they might be. Turned the other way -- i.e., as they look with the Sterling mark right-side-up -- they don't look like anything at all. But upside down? Yep. Snakes!  😉

Earlier today, I sent an e-mail to the person who hosts that Art-Amerindien site, and included close-up photos, asking if he / she had ever seen these marks before. I don't know whether that individual answers e-mails or not, but there was an e-mail address provided on the site, along with a suggestion to send "clear" photos, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Fingers crossed, I'll hear something soon.

Thanks so much for your reply to my query! I'm about cross-eyed, looking at marks online, trying to keep those snakes in my mind, both right-side-up and upside-down!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply