cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Art Deco Inspired bracelet has me puzzled

Found this at my thrift today and I'm trying to understand it. It's an irony in that it has what appears to be real rubies but it's marked 925. Also, it doesn't seem to be too old because it has no signs of wear or tarnish - but I also can't find a similar one (I was thinking QVC). 

The clasp is extremely unusual. Never seen one like it. I am calling it a keyhole hidden box clasp (I made that up). It has a ball on one half that slides into a slot and moves over to secure into a hole on the other half like a key in a keyhole. Then...the whole thing is secured with double security clasps, one on each side.

Prong set and channel set stones that are somewhat crudely faceted, open back, but has some qualities about it that aren't exactly what you would find in a very high quality piece. I would classify it as medium quality overall but with the Prong set stones that makes no sense.

One last question...some of the prongs are created by smearing the metal up on to the stone. I have other pieces that I know are antique that also have this. What is that technique called?

Any ideas at all on this piece would be appreciated. Anything at all. I bought it for myself to wear for the holidays so this is mainly curiosity and I have been googling for hours. 

There is an antiquing in the metal surface behind the stones on the large sections which gives the illusion that the stones there are a different color and seem darker but in reality they are all the same color red.

20221029_154810.jpg

20221029_203432.jpg

20221029_203522.jpg

 the keyhole half of the clasp

20221029_203544.jpg

20221029_203553.jpg

  the clasp

20221029_203631.jpg

 not sure if this is a mark. Small rectangle.

The whole piece is open like this to show the stones.

20221029_203720.jpg

Marked 92520221029_203732.jpg

  

  

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

My mama went digging around and found a seller here on ebay that sells bracelets like this from India (except the clasp is still a mystery) so that sort of answers the origin query. I'm still curious about the smudge prongs though and if there is a name for that technique. Sorry to stump everyone but this was driving me insane 😳 

eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

This is a very pretty bracelet.  They did a nice job capturing the Deco look.  My impression is this was mass produced in possibly China, Taiwan, Thailand or India and sold on one of the home shopping clubs.   The prongs on the stones are not claw prongs.  They're positioned straight up and down rather than bending in to hold the stone.  The larger white stones might be CZ's, white topaz or white sapphires and are probably glued in.  The rubies are bead set.  The darkening of the metal behind the rubies gives the piece a richer look and also hides the inclusions the rubies are likely to have.  

The closure is interesting.  I haven't seen one like that before.   I can see why you bought it.  This will make a beautiful holiday bracelet 😀.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

The back construction does match India jewelry I see in my region of Canada.

I have not seen that type of safety clasp configuration before but it speaks quality to me.

The fact that this is marked 925 and maybe Rodium plated is a positive in my books. I have read many articles that state that even Diamonds are set in Silver now. The other color metal might be a Gunmetal finish which is popular. And the smear claw could be Pave setting.

I would have the stones tested to confirm. Besides CZs there are other quality clear stones that are used as a substitute for diamonds. I think it is worth checking.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

VideoCapture_20221030-171354.jpgthank you so much for your input. here is a close up showing the prongs on the large stone cradling it. No glue. 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Thank you. It's a nice piece and driving me crazy. Maybe so new that others like it haven't reached the secondary market yet. 🤔 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

VideoCapture_20221030-172018.jpg

 and here is a closeup of the prongs holding the smaller stones. It is hard to see but the clear stones are the ones with the smeared prong settings (already forgot what you called it)

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

You`re stressin over this waaaay too much!!!

Rather than make yourself ill over it..just send it to me...I`ll take on your burden  😄

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Is bead set a good way to describe that smear type Prong? It literally looks like a melted metal smear. I have some actual jewelry from the art deco Era with that. I'll try to get a photo of that as well. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I really am! I spent 6 hours on Google. That ocd won't let me rest 😄🤣😂 I love it just the way it is 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Bead set is correct.  I have seen this type of clasp on bracelets coming from India in the late 80s.  I had an amethyst bracelet with this type of closure.  My bracelet only had one of these closures on it, but it wasn't as wide as your bracelet.  My guess on the red stones are they are garnets rather than rubies, without testing it is hard to tell the difference sometimes.  Very pretty piece.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

If you're referring to the rubies, yes, bead set.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Thank you

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

India is making sense. Thank you so much!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

A piece like that is labor intensive, so they're going to cut corners where they can.  I think in the case of the small white stones the process involves filling the channel with hot metal and then pushing the stones in quickly, which causes the smearing/beading effect.  The beading on the rubies was done more carefully.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply