cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Old Is This Funky Piece?

Appears to be celluloid  and looks like it was made using one of those cookie presses...where ya just shoot the dough out in a ribbon & cut it off.  A bit rough at the ends (like where it was 'cut off') and ya can see it on the back also.

Don`t think I`ve ever seen a pin back attached this way..just curious as to possible age

DSCN4934.JPG

DSCN4935.JPG

DSCN4936.JPG

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Looks like pulled taffy! Warm it up and sniff - with celluloid the nose knows. If you go "peYEW, mothballs!" it's the real thing.

flotsamlogo
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Mornin! Just did the hot water test.. the pin has a 'medicinal' smell (definitely not vinegary) so apparently it is the older product.

From what I read online this would put it prior to  1927 when the vinegar was added making it a safer product?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Glad I read up on testing some of these plastics..just did the hot water test on another item I was sure was just acrylic..whew!  Stinky stinky!  Cat Happy  Definitely is bakelite from what I have read this morning

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

heee.. looks like a delish piece of white cream licorice!

AFA the bakelite suspect, it might pay to follow up with one of the chemical (or the toothpaste) tests to confirm.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Yes, try to test the other item with SImichrome or toothpaste. This way it also confirms the smell for you in future. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Toothpaste?  never heard of using that!  What do I do & what result am I supposed to get?

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Here's what you do: put a dab of toothpaste (white toothpaste is best although I use blue toothpaste too) on a q-tip. Rub against the surface of the piece your are testing ... and the result is exactly the same as Simichrome ..nicotine yellow residue on q-tip upon rubbing  = positive for Bakelite. Rinse the area to clean. This is a really simple test and I have tested dozens of items and it really does work .. great when you don't have Simichrome handy.

I'll post a pic in the morning  for you, Sarah to compare the result of a positive for Bakelite with Simichrome and a positive with toothpaste. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

004.JPG

Q-tip on right: positive test for Bakelite with SImichrome

Q-tip on left at an angle: positive test for Bakelite with toothpaste

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Thanks so much for that tip,  I did try my toothpaste (Crest pro-health) but didn`t get any result.  I remembered I had some Scrubbing bubbles &  tried that.

Here is result.  Item was clean (from 2 hot water tests). Between the stinky hot water test & this..am I safe in saying bakelite?  I do plan on ordering some of the Simichrome

DSCN4979.JPG

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I'm not seeing the q-tip too well, and also not able to really make out the colour of that brooch. If the result is yellow then yes, this will be testing as Bakelite. Could I bother you and ask for a picture of the back of the brooch? I am just curious to see more of it. 

As for the toothpaste test, I am really not sure why you aren't getting a result. I have never had a false negative with this test, always a bright yellow, or at the very least a trace of yellow, you do need to rub quite firmly, not just a gentle rub ....I am not sure why this happened. Hmmmm.  Interesting. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Q-tip is indeed yellow.  Here is the pin in question with large pics. The pin attachment has been both countersunk & glued.

I have seen others like this sold as bakelite..but since we all know how that goes..want to be sure. Cat Happy

DSCN4788.JPG

DSCN4789.JPG

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Thanks so much Sarah for those pics. I must admit that I am not familiar with this particular colour of Bakelite, but if it has passed the sniff test and the Scrubbing Bubbles test, and there are others like this out there, I *think* you are safe to call it Bakelite. Maybe you should wait to get the Simichrome? That really is the "gold standard" and that way you can be 100% sure.

I was just reading up about toothpaste and see that there is a dire warning not to use it to polish vintage Bakelite as it will cause scratching . Repeated over and over on different sites, but all referencing the exact same article as per usual on the Internet. I then researched how abrasive toothpaste is and yes, it can be very abrasive depending on the toothpaste.

Soooooo .....despite the fact that I have used it over and over to test Bakelite and it has caused no damage whatsover,  I think it prudent to mention this. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Thank you for all your help, Arlene & Volemus. Cat Very Happy

I am going to wait about re-listing this (I had  pulled it earlier) till I get some Simichrome for confirmation.  

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Hi, That second circle pin looks like rootbeer bakelite to me..

Message 15 of 18
latest reply