cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Helpers Sign Up Thread

Who: Anyone and Everyone!

Where: Anywhere in the world!

What: Donating time, energy and/or resources.

Why: To assist fellow humans and animals in need.

When: From now to infinity!

(But we'll have a “reveal party” December 19, pictures/reflections optional.)

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

List so far:

flipping_treasures

arlene_v

scifidaughter64

dream*peddler

gauntlettgems

thirry

bojibelle

clearsphere

(I included the names that I saw posted "I'm in" on the other thread so far!)

Message 2 of 56
latest reply

count me in

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 3 of 56
latest reply

I'm in!

Message 4 of 56
latest reply

Just took two bags to the food bank dropoff today.  I've been in for a while. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 5 of 56
latest reply

flipping_treasures

arlene_v

scifidaughter64

dream*peddler

gauntlettgems

thirry

bojibelle

clearsphere

theshoppingmom2

bat197

evelyb30

Message 6 of 56
latest reply

elf-on-the-shelf-ideas-nice-kindness-alternative.jpg

Message 7 of 56
latest reply

I would love to say I’m in,  but I am about 550 miles from home and will be for weeks.   Maybe when I get back there will still be time.

I did however donate $5 to St. Jude yesterday at Dollar General.  😁 I know it’s not much,  but still it’s more than zero,  which about 10 people before me said.  I just 💜 St. Jude!!! 

Mermaid 🐳 

Message 8 of 56
latest reply

deed1.jpg

Adding southernmermaid8

Message 9 of 56
latest reply

Dana, you can find a Salvation Army bell ringer just about anywhere and join in a caroling duet 🙂 

((Now, if I did that they'd stuff the kettle to get me to stop!))

IMNSHO, small deeds done quietly add up.

If you're 550 miles from home you wouldn't happen to be around the corner from me, would you? I'm pretty sure NOLA is just about that distance from your beach. 🙂

A.

Message 10 of 56
latest reply

@thirry wrote:

IMNSHO, small deeds done quietly add up.

So something happened yesterday that really reminded me of this.

I was walking on a busy residential street on the sidewalk.

About 200 meters in front of me on the sidewalk was an older man. He was walking very strangely, staggering more than walking actually. Carrying a small plastic bag of groceries.

As I approached him I thought to ask him if he was ok.

At that very moment he fell, face first, straight down, without even bracing for the fall, onto the hard concrete pavement.

So of course I rushed to him and actually thought he was dead, he was immobile. Then he moved his fingers slightly. 

I was only on a short walk and didn't have my phone with me to call 911, Murphy's Law. So I started to wave my arms to try to attract attention from the passing cars.

Within  10 seconds a car drew up, a woman got out and said "I'm a doctor" and proceeded to assist him and phone 911 for an ambulance.

In the space of about 3 minutes  a total of I would say at least 8 random strangers stopped their cars and asked if they could help this old man.

2 nurses stopped and ran to help. A youngish man in his 30s  stopped. A teenage boy on his bicycle asked if he could cycle home and get towels to stop the bleeding (the old man was bleeding badly from his face), a very well dressed lady stopped and got out tissues and a blanket from her car.  Two random young guys stopped and asked if they could assist.

I can't begin to describe how awed I was by the kindness of all these strangers trying to helping this old man.

I must admit I thought of your words, Thirry.  

Message 11 of 56
latest reply

Thanks for the story-I hope he's ok! It's good to hear so many people stopped to help. Some don't bother-or worse take pics! I've been thinking about this thread and what I could add to it. There are things I do year round like donate a % of purchases on the river to the local shelter. The website has a "smile" alternate site to do this. It's definitely a little thing that adds up!

eBay has a long list of charities to donate a % of sales too (which most of us know-but just in case!). I've used it a handful of times, but not sure how returns get handled.

Shopped online over the weekend and had to spend a certain amount for free ship. Looked at the shelter's wish list and added an item to my order. For a couple of bucks more, got my free ship and get to bring a big box of treats to some well deserving dogs 🙂

Message 12 of 56
latest reply

I was a day early for "giving Tuesday", made a cash donation to the local shelter Peoples for Pets.
Message 13 of 56
latest reply

I don't give money on Giving Tuesday; I donate to the local food bank year round, help a friend who TNRs and feeds feral cats, etc.  Any group that has enough money to send out a pile of advertising ought to be kicking ME in a few bucks. 🙂  

BTW - a kind word is free.  Almost anyone, no matter how broke, can give those. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 14 of 56
latest reply

deed2.png

Message 15 of 56
latest reply