cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with this silver Mexico necklace Egyptian revival?

fullsizeoutput_2846.jpegfullsizeoutput_27e7.jpegfullsizeoutput_280d.jpegfullsizeoutput_2831.jpegfullsizeoutput_285a.jpegAHGOWfKbTuGQjQqbfZmgOQ.jpgbGapsOh5Q1OFPw6XHVKprQ.jpg 

Help!   I thought I saw Art Deco style but then again, Egyptian revival.  I could certainly be wrong about either as well.  The stones do not register so I assume they are glass   They are perfect so I am thinking someone never wore this as I think it has some age to it.   What are your opinions?  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

@gauntlettgems Ohh send the link!!! I will never think that!

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 31 of 36
latest reply

Thank you for your thoughts and explanation.

With all due respect, the only thing that makes this necklace "art deco" is the use of geometric plaques, and those are definitely not fashioned by hand.  They are obviously machine made.  The use of hand soldering (somewhat sloppy) on the chain is not evidence of 100 year old origin.

I certainly had googled art deco Mexico jewelry, and I saw absolutely nothing that even comes close to looking like this necklace.  The women in Mexico were not wearing "art deco" clothing...the country itself was far removed from the deco influence, except for some architecture.

The closest that I can reconcile myself to art deco in Mexico is the Frida Kahlo times.  If you google her, you will not see any comparison.  And, of course, the Spratling era, when Mexican jewelry came into its own. 

I have been handling jewelry for the better part of 40 years, and I have my own instincts, as you do.  I have seen more than an ample share of mismarked Mexican jewelry.  In fact, I believe that this sad fact has taken away the desirability of Mexican silver jewelry.

The necklace is interesting in itself, but it, to me, is not art deco anything.  If you believe that it is, well, that's great!  I think that it is just another interesting piece that is nice to look at, but nothing special at all.  Just like fashion jewelry. 

It is actually not doing anyone a service to speak so definitively of the age of this piece when there is nothing in the way of provenance, and just a best guess as to the time frame. 

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

I must have miscommunicated my thought 😞

The yellow glass stones in your Necklace. The shape is sugar loaf. I have and have seen bracelets made of Alpaca that use the same stones. So, stone shape can be found in Mexican (Tourist) jewelry. I have never tested Alpaca with 18k so do not know how it would respond but my guess is it would test similar to other not silver items as there is no silver in the formula.

@gauntlettgems wrote:
@old.crows.nestAlpaca? Rut roh How does that show when testing with 18k acid? I got positive for silver

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

I wouldn't worry about this one not being silver; my guess it is was made from whatever silver the smith could get his hands on to melt and rework, be it coins or old sterling flatware.  Art deco as all heck - late 20s  with that color stone.  The stones are probably glass, but it wouldn't hurt to get them under a loupe to look for bubbles.  Mexico City was a hotbed of art and design for a while in that era; I'm betting it was made for sale to either an American visitor or local lady.  (and I'd have bought that too) 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 34 of 36
latest reply

I tested the stones and they are glass but still lovely!! Ty e1 for the input
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 35 of 36
latest reply

Presidium for stones, Mizar for metals (pick one with a wide range of options) and make sure you get enough solution.

Message 36 of 36
latest reply