cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with possible Jade pendant

The "jade" is about 1-1/2" by 1-1/4". It has a dragon on one side and a bird on the other. Looks carved to me.

Is it jade?? I googled and read a bunch about how to tell if it is real jade. A lot of it is confusing. But, I tried my best to scratch it with scissors and it didn't scratch. I tried to melt with a hot pin, again no. It sounds like a stone and feels cold to the touch. And there are black marks in it (not on it). But, being no kind of expert - at all -  I'm asking for help here.

I think the beads are hematite. They are cold and metal. 

And, of course, the bead is cloisonne?

Any opinion is appreciated. Even if it's cheap plastic.

Thanks!!jade  (1).jpgjade  (2).jpgjade  (3).jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Outside of taking it to an expert who can confirm it's jade, I'd say you've done your due diligence to ascertain that it's carved jade.  That, the dragon carving, cloisonne bead and the black beads are all done in Asian style.  Everyone here will tell you they can't tell from a picture, so I'm just rendering a guess of yes, it looks like jade.  It looks like the thumb of the lobster claw clasp is marked.  Can you read what it says?  Nice necklace!

On another note, if you ever find a piece you suspect is bakelite, please don't try the hot pin test on it.  Collectors hate seeing that and you could lose the sale.  Just sayin' because you tried the hot pin test on this piece.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for the answer. The clasp is plated (worn off in spots). In the picture I, too, thought it was a mark, but no it's just "textured".

I never thought of it maybe being bakelite. I figured cheap plastic if it melted. Thanks, I will remember that!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Your piece looks like nephrite jade to me, but there are caveats.  Here's a copy of my most recent post on another thread:

As a Graduate Gemologist, let me warn you that jade is a specialty item.  You need an experienced expert to make determinations.  Besides jadeite and nephrite, serpentine is also frequently misidentified as jade...not to mention glass and other molded imitations.   Further, genuine ("real") jadeite can be injected with fillers to fill in microscopic voids, and it can be dyed.

While I was comfortable appraising inexpensive nephrite and serpentine, there were instances when I turned down appraisals on jadeite.  Jadeite can be incredibly expensive when it is the "good stuff"!  It is not the kind of thing where you can just go ask your local jeweler.

There are helpful websites like this that can help you identify what you have:  Jadeite, Nephrite & Serpentine (epigem.de)   When our store needed an expert opinion on jadeite, or if we needed to order jadeite for stock or special order, we used Mason-Kay:  Natural Jadeite Jade and Jade Jewelry | Fine Jadeite Jade | Designer Jade Jewelry | Classic Jade Jew...

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for the opinion and the links. I will check them out!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply