cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please with age of pendant.

I'm not sure if this is an Antique or a newer Middle East piece? It is not marked in anyway but has a definite texture on the inside. It was heavily tarnished so could be low carat gold but not sure. Size is approximately 22mm x 18mm. All help greatly appreciated.

20240119_232010~2.jpg

20240119_232043~2.jpg

20240119_224222~2.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Stone size is approximately 22mm x 18mm.  If you click on the pictures you will see better quality images.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

What a lovely pendant. I'm looking at this carefully and  the wirework and the granulation say "older". 

Even though I'm years into collecting I still have trouble sometimes. I know you must feel the same as you too are wondering about this pendant. 

I haven't seen texturing like that before on the inside of a pendant and am very curious if any bench jewellers on this board could comment. That could be a vital clue. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Sorry, OCN, no help with dating it..but that is lovely!

In your second pic it reminds me of a kaleidoscope inside!  So pretty!

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The quality of the stone, the faceting and the frame tell me it's an older piece.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

This pendant I'll be listing soon reminds me a bit of yours.  It is marked made in Germany (not W. Germany), and has that fancy crimping around the frame, a nicely faceted glass stone and a C clasp.  It's not the same as yours, but it might be a clue?

wgermanbrooch2.JPG

wgermanbrooch5.JPG

wgermanbrooch6.JPG

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

It looks older to me. The metal, since it cleaned up so nicely and I don't see any plating wear, seems like it could be gold. Any way to get this piece tested? The quality looks like fine jewelry to me, handmade for sure. It's a lovely little pendant!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Brooch. Duh.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Very grateful for the helpful responses. You all have given me more to think on. LOL, I always feel more confident with brooches.

I wish I had taken an image of the black tarnish. It might have been an applied finish but it was on the back too and it gave it up really easy so probably not. The pendant came in a junk jar. I bought the jar for a beautiful BUTLER Pendant so was very surprised to find this. If we have a gemologist posting here they might know what the kaleidoscope effect means? Stone is very cold and has tiny flea bites on back point.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I found this similar sold pendant? Better quality but close in size and composition.

https://www.langantiques.com/victorian-english-amethyst-pendant.html

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Crow,  What a wonderful surprise to find in your jar.  My vote is older also.  Isn't she lovely? 

I think Dream nailed it with quality, faceting,  and frame point to older.  

💜💜💜

Message 11 of 11
latest reply