cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harvest lots? A question.

If you wanted to get back to doing some jewelry, where would you start? With a brand? a certain type of jewelry? or just harvest some things from harvest and junk lots?  I really dont know.

I have to do something with my time, ladies. Since I dont sell on ebay any more I want to invest some time into something I love. I love jewelry. Although I do have a sight problem, I also have magnifiers and a microscope, as well as a program set up on the computer that works with the microscope.  I need tips and suggestions from all the experts here.

Terrie

Photobucket
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

do you mean collecting, or creating jewelry?

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Lol I surmised after I wrote this it wasnt clear.  Sorry. I dont thnk I would try repair, I wouldnt trust myself.  I guess what I meant to say when one has lots of leftovers from buying lots, I dont always know which way to go. There are many options. I am fond of buying lots and going though them. Like going thorough a big box. Then which is best to do. Sort wholle pieces, brands, by types, like bracelets, earrings, etc.  I find what usually has happened I end up buying several lots. I sort, and then dont know what to do with it all.  I hope I am making myself clear.    Sure I can buy up lots and go through them all. But then I have lots of stuff.  I think it is the hunt I like. But somewhere along the line when spending money for the lots, you got to get some money back from that investment.  Am I way off track here.?

Photobucket
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Re: "Sure I can buy up lots and go through them all. But then I have lots of stuff. I think it is the hunt I like. But somewhere along the line when spending money for the lots, you got to get some money back from that investment."
So, Terri, are you saying you want to sell at least some of the items in the lots you would buy to get money back from your investment? And are you wondering how to group the things to sell? Would you be able to photograph and list on eBay, or are you thinking yard sale or some other way to sell?
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Yes on ebay I am sure. I can do the photographs with my techie stuff, plus if that was a problem, hubby takes  good photos. So I guess to answer the question yes....i would want to get some return.    I started a few years back just buying lots to acquire something to start with. It grew quite fast. I sued to sort first those that were marked. I cant brag about a great knowledge of jewelry, but I was learning. 
My days are eating, sleeping, housework, and seeing my kids and grandkids when I can. I grew up with a strong work ethic. I cant just sit here. I have to have something productive to do.  I mean we all have housework, and when it gets done you can still always find something to do. I want to do something enjoyable.   Ok so what if I end up with tons of stuff, lol, well then I end up with tons of stuff.   How did you get started? What were your first steps? Did you focus on one thing?  I just thought there is so much knowledge here, I wasnt after any secrets, just helpful tips.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Oh I hate to hold yard sales. That isnt for me. lol 

Photobucket
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Hi Terrie, 

I realize your post was made quite a long time ago but it seems like you never got the answer you were looking for. Still, all these years later, I’m finding no forums of FB groups centered around the love of hunting through bulk jewelry lots. I have the same passion for it! Now I have a metric ton of stuff! I began by sorting everything into categories and putting them into plastic food prep containers on Amazon. My categories are: post earrings, hook earrings, rings, keychains, whole chains, broken chains, things with precious metal markings (925, signatures, 18kg, 14kg, etc), bangle bracelets, clip on earrings, brooches and pins, shell necklaces, pearls, seed bead necklaces, necklaces I want to sell individually, watches, bracelets I want to sell individually, Mardi Gras beads, misc items (cuff links, tie clips, hair clips, other random oddities) and finally things I want to harvest to craft other items from. My intention is to go through my categories and pick out things with signatures or a vintage style or look that I think will be appealing to sell piece meal initially. My current rule is that I won’t post anything for sale for less than $5 in my pocket plus listing fees, buyer pays shipping. I go up from there depending on the market, what similar things have sold for recently, and based on how much I know about the piece. If something has no marking but has a vintage feel or style, I state that in my listing. People love the keyword “vintage” lately. My typical item gets listed for $20-25 and depending how long it sits, I’ll first send offers to “likers” or “watchers” for a percentage off, once a week or two. If no one bites, I bring the listing price down by a dollar or two.  Things that don’t sell after a few months at the lowest of $5 plus listing fees and things that aren’t worth selling piece meal, like threaded bracelets, faux leather cuff bracelets, Mardi Gras beads, missing non matching earrings, certain pins and brooches, etc. I sell in a bulk lot either in its category or thrown together into a treasure hunt lot for someone else. Bulk lots are more likely to sell for the best rate at 10 or more pounds for an average of $6-9 dollars a pound. Some sellers also create themed collections of various items and sell them in a lot. (i.e.: silver toned jewelry, bangle bracelets, blues, purples, turquoise, dainty items, statement pieces, etc) and those go for about $2-3 a piece. So a collection of let’s say 5 bracelets, 7 necklaces, a few rings and a few earrings would sell for roughly $30-40. Those are great for resellers that don’t want to dig and know exactly what they’re getting but can be more time consuming to put together. Last tid but I learned, invest in a bust, earring holder, bracelet display and/ or mannequin to display necklaces so the user can get a true idea for how and where the piece will lay on them. I’ve also started to invest in bulk 925 stamped earring backs, chains and hooks and switch out the older used stuff for those. They don’t set me back much but let me charge a premium and buyers love to buy something they know is not going to turn them green, stink up their hands, and wasn’t in someone else’s ear. 

anyway, long rant but I hope that you are enjoying whatever hobbies you’re up to and that this helps a bit if you’re still selling and hunting! Happy to find a fellow hunter. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Hi! I am a fellow treasure hunter as well. I’ve been doing it for thirty years and it is a PASSION! The last three have been spent discovering the wonderful world of jewelry and I’ve bought many, many, wayyyyyy too many bulk lots of it. Just ask my husband. 😆You mentioned that you can’t find any fb groups or forums for people who love to buy bulk lots and I have to say I’ve had the same issue. I’ve also looked for groups/forums specializing in designer single earrings in hopes of finding matches. I know that’s a very long shot but maybe worth a try? The other I’ve looked for is one for Goodwill Blueboxes to no avail. 
Perhaps if we found some people who are also interested in the idea of a group/forum for bulk jewelry lot buyers we could start our own? 
Lisa

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

OMG I haven’t seen these names in a while,  but still remember them well.  This is a VERY old 2015 thread.  Curious where y’all found it ?  

Mermaid 🐳

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Mornin Dana.  This is indeed a very old thread.  I was surprised when I saw it pop up the other day!  LOL

I`m not even sure the OP Mrs E is still with us. ☹️

On another note..the tips & ideas people have for doing lots are good...I just wish people would use paragraphs when typing & listing  lol  Is easier on the eyes! (but that`s just me) 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I think a Google search will turn up older posts if they are relevant to the search.  If there isn't much info about the topic, it will show an older post.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Wow I had no idea you could sell bulk jewelry lots on Amazon.  😊 I think of Amazon as being all new stuff.  Interesting 🤔 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Ah yes,  now that you mention it  I have seen this happen with my own older posts before and also stuff Ive sold on eBay.  😊  Sure do miss Cleio too,  she always had cool items to share. 💙

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Me, I was just excited to see some of those old names, like Cleio! I didn't notice at first it was an ancient thread (my first clue was when I saw myself as one of the posters and didn't remember it, LOL! )

As for finding stuff, my current strategy is to go through all the stuff I have stashed in bins and see what all is in there and do "something" with it! downsizing

Message 14 of 14
latest reply