cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hallmarks on Gold and what stone?

I got this necklace in a box lot and didn't think much of it (missing a strand). Anyway the clasp is 14k gold with some kind of hallmarks. They are really difficult to make out even with my loupe! They just aren't stamped great. Also, what kind of stone gets to have gold findings?!! Thanks for any help! Lisa
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Looks like Japanese/Chinese marks,any type of stone can have gold findings.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

It is a bad stamp plus years of the marks getting rubbed by being inserted in and out of the clasp. You might want to try a pencil rubbing with paper or rubbing something like flour, charcoal or colored chalk into the marks and then looping or photographing.

Could you post a close up of just the stone in the clasp and one bead? It is difficult to tell what stone with just a photo.

Any stone, glass or even plastic can have a 14K clasp if someone decides to replace or string it with what they have on hand but with that matching stone on the top of the clasp I would say that it is a natural stone and original. And depending on the stone it might not matter about a missing strand.

From these photos I don't see the translucent appearance of good jade but the color is right. Here is a good link on jade.

http://www.gia.edu/jade-quality-factor

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Here is a close up of
The of the beaded. I hope this helps with is.is
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Here is a close up of
The of the beaded. I hope this helps with is.is
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I found a couple that are similar beads.. google....Chinese Turquoise Beads 14k Gold Necklace

Photobucket
"Today is a Gift that is why it is called the Present"
Sheila
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Try looking at some samples of Varisite also. It has been marketed as Utahsite also.

Diane

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Cool, here is a close up. As good as I can get on my IPad. Ugh. Off to check the sites and stones that ppl have posted. Thanks for looking!!
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You also might want to try looking at some green dyed coral beads.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I looked up that Chinese turquoise and that looks like what I have here. Any 2nds on that?
Message 10 of 10
latest reply