cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold filled watch chain but odd loops

So found this at an estate sale yesterday.  It is gold filled and seemed to be a standard watch chain, but why are there three little rings on one part of the chain, what are they for?   Any help is much appreciated.P1420317.JPGP1420319.JPGP1420320.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Google image searching, I see some with a charm(s) hanging from the extra loop(s)

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thans so much I did not see that, but going to look now.  Thanks again

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

There are different kind of watch chains.  A sport chain is really short, a Waldemar is really long.  This one looks like a vest chain.  Many longer chains like vest and Waldemars have fobs, and that's the purpose of the extra jump rings.  The fob is a decorative dangle.  They are sometimes tassels, sometimes have rockhound type gems like carnelian or bloodstone, or it could have some kind of engraved piece, etc.

The swivel hooks to the bow of the pocket watch, and the toggle would go in a vest buttonhole, then the fob would dangle down as an eye catcher.  The chain would then be a snazzy accent to a well-dressed man as it ran across his vest.  Many vests of the day had watch pockets, or the chain could extend all the way to a pants pocket.

In the days before a man could flaunt his wealth with an expensive, upscale car, a striking pocket watch was a way a man could show that he was successful.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for educating me further.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply