cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Costume Jewelry Books

Everyone has their opinion as to which is the best book to them. I'm currently on the market aiming to expand my library and feel I should ask the REAL experts for advice. What book(s) have you found to be the absolutely most helpful to you in collecting/selling/buying Vintage Costume Jewelry over the years. Your advice is treasured therefore I'd like to thank you ahead of time. 🙂

Twitter: @BergenPickers
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I'm no expert but the ones I probably learned the most from are Julia Carroll Collecting Costume Jewelry 101, 202 & 303. A recent purchase that I really liked and has alot of information is Pamela Wiggins Warman's Costume Jewelry which came out fairly recently. I also use Ann Pittman Juliana Jewelry Reference, Katarina Musetti The Art of Juliana Jewelry and Karla Wacker & Paula Knutson Juliana Jewelry The Last Generation on a regualr basis. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

My first and still favorite book is "Fabulous Fakes" by Carole Tanenbaum

The book is filled with beautiful pictures. It includes Victorian to Modern Styles in all types of materials.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

A word of warning about Julia Carroll CCJ books, make sure to confirm you are buying the latest version.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

American Costume Jewelry : Art and Industry, 1935-1950 by Roberto Brunialti. (2 volumes). Scholarly, in-depth, beautifully illustrated and well worth the money spent to acquire them. I bought these on the recommendation of Sandy (Flipping Treasures)  and Cool-Awesome-Vintage earlier this year and am so pleased that I did.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you all very much for your insight. Some of these books are pricier than expected! 😉 I'm starting off with the Warman's Guide and moving into the others soon. The Juliana Jewelry Reference though, WOWZERS, on the price! 

Twitter: @BergenPickers
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I really like:

Collectible Silver Jewelry Identification and Value Guide by Fred Rezazadeh.

Some of the books do seem expensive. They can pay for themselves in useful information.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Depending on where you are in your knowledge of costume jewelry, I would recommend "How to be a Jewelry Detective" by C. Jeanenne Bell.  I still find useful information in this book.  All of the above mentioned books are also in my Library.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've collected upwards of 100 jewelry books (ack! where did all that time go?). At this point I don't use them as daily references, but I love taking out one at a time and drooling (hopefully not literally) over the pics.

When I first started out, I relied heavily on Warman's. For all the books that are updated, the latest version will incorporate the most up-to-date knowledge, but I keep the old versions, as I often can find pics that were not carried over to newer versions (hope that makes sense!)
Message 9 of 9
latest reply