cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these crosses pendants? Confused!

Helllo everyone!  I have not posted a question for awhile and guess what!  I bought a jewelry box filled with odd things including these crosses.  Wondering if they are pendants.  Holes on top seem too small to fit a chain and they are too heavy to be part of dangle earring.  Show wear and thinking they might not even be jewelry.  I'm really hoping someone can let me know since I'm not sure what to do with them.  Thanks in advance for the help. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

How big are they? And just FYI, they are called Ankh crosses. 🙂

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

About 4 inches long and 36 grams each.  1.2 oz.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

They're Egyptian Ankh symbols. They get used as crosses but came out of that whole Osiris/Isis/Set thing.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Ro the: "holes on top too small to fit a chain" there would have been a jump ring through the small hole to accomodate a chain.

The ankh on the left seems to have the hole drilled off center, so that piece would never hang straight as a pendant.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks everyone!  I searched on ebay and found tons of them - most new and some 14L gold or sterling silver.  Mine are not either but now I know what they are called.  Looking at the listing I can see mine have a little ring missing that should be threaded where the holes are.  Then they could be used as a pendant.  Again thank you!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Ankh is actually the hieroglyph for "life." (Learned that at a King Tut exhibit we went to in the early 60s.)

flotsamlogo
Message 7 of 7
latest reply