cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Know This Incomplete Signature, Roseae ? MCM Sterling Brooch

I had this listed over a year.  I gave up on searching the artist, but now figured maybe someone on the boards can help me.

It's a Mid Century Modern / Modernist / Abstract designed, Sterling silver brooch.  It has a tag on the back, albiet, cut off and incomplete.  Part of ths signature only reads ROSEAE, and there must be more to it because the NG in Sterling is also cut off.

Anyone out there maybe know who this is?

0415-01.jpg0415-05.jpg0415-07.jpg

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I checked my modest collection of marks with no results. Good luck.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Could that be a period after the R..............R. OSEAE..

Probably not, I tried searching Oseae sterling and came up with nada.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

The signature is ROSEART.  The cartouche appears to have been either poorly aligned with the stamping machine or got cut off too soon.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Looks like the mark of Caroline Gleick Rosene, studio jeweler, 1940s - 1960s - San Francisco, CA.

Placement of letters of her 2 line ROSENE STERLING mark, match your photograph except for the 5th letter that may have been mis-struck. It looks like an A, but notice how the crossbar is a little slanted even though the mark has a block letter font. I think it was intended to be one of the vertical lines of an N.  I found the mark here, the 3rd down on the left - for information only:

http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_R4.html

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

They actually do not match the location.   Here is a side by side of the two.  Note the Rosene "R" is indented from the "S" (is positioned between the S and the T below) whereas the Roseart "R" is on top of the "S" in the full name example which matches the OPs (middle photo):

Roseart.jpg

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Yes, it looks like the stamp was not aligned properly affecting the last letters of both lines in fact, but I don't see RT at the end of the first line. E can be read but may be over-struck???

@killrknee wrote:

The signature is ROSEART.  The cartouche appears to have been either poorly aligned with the stamping machine or got cut off too soon.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Wow. You've convinced me! Sorry, I didn't read your last post before sending mine. Can I please ask, where did you find the photo of the Roseart mark? I looked using various spellings before finding Rosene. Thank you for posting!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Very cool! Can we /you post to the ID Topic with your picture?
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If you search ebay active and completed jewerly for  ROSEART STERLING (no quotations; titles only), there are several examples.  I picked one which had the same plating color as the OPs.   The company was out of New York. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thank you so much everyone!  I love these boards!  This one had eluded me for years, and I never like to list something without an answer, but I did, and never had any interest.  Hopefully now I will!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for the photo killrknee. Roseart is a new one for me.

You're welcome dads... I'm glad you found your mark! This has been a thread of discovery for me as well so thanks for posting the question. I'm now familiar with Roseart and will be wary of poorly struck marks.

Happy weekend everybody. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply