cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone translated this Japanese porcelain mark?

Hi, I am searching for info on the mark on the porcelain (Japanese?) cup. I have a set of 10 of these.  The swigglys on the cup appear to be calligraphy. The cups are 2.5" high and the mouth is appx 3" wide.  I don't know if these are new or older collectible ones.  Also what is the correct spelling for them?  Is it saka or saki as I have seen it spelled both ways in doing a searh.  Photos below.  Thanks for any and all info and replies.  Joci

frt best1.jpg

best 2.jpg

mark.jpg

measure.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The mark on the bottom is 'Kutani'. (It's up-side down)

3" wide is a little large for a traditional sake cup and a little small for a tea cup.  More like a 'wine' cup - plum wine.

Probably from c 1960's, though the style goes back a lot further, as well as still being made.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks Gracie....When I did not get a reply to my question on this forum I went to the Glass forum and was also told the mark was Kutani.  So again thanks for confirming.  Joci

Message 3 of 3
latest reply