cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is it?

This is 14 inches long, the "head" is 4 inches long and has a diameter of 1 1/8 inch. All made of heavy wire. What is it? Not for picking up nuts, the spring looking head won't open enough for that. In fact, I can barely spread the spring like part a tiny fractionIMG-1525.jpgIMG-1526.jpg

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

What is it?

@tryno2 

That is a handle to pull or pick up something hot, the wound wire acts as an insulator against the heat from the wire portion that is in contact with the hot item or over a heat source ... we have similar fixtures on our wood stove on the doors and shaker.

Mr. L

IMG_7924.JPG

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

Here's another photo .  Mr. Lincoln, notice that the hand doesn't fit well.  For that reason, I'll say maybe but doubtful.  unnamed.jpg

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

@tryno2   It looks like it might be old ... the wires may be bent OR the part that sticks in the wound part broke so they shortened the sections going in to the wound portion ... or it was a reject LOL!

If someone else posts with exactly what that is I will certainly stand corrected ...

Regards,
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

That doesn't solve the problem of a hand not fitting the part you want to use as a handle

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

@tryno2 wrote:

That doesn't solve the problem of a hand not fitting the part you want to use as a handle

@tryno2  It will be interesting if someone comes back knowing what it is ...

Mr. L

Regards,
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

Yes it will.  What you are calling a handle just doesn't work, if it did I'd think you were right.  What I'm thinking is more some sort of kitchen item, similar to a noodle cutter?????   

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

Fireplace tool, using the same principle, to distribute contents of fireplace?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

@tryno2 wrote:

Yes it will.  What you are calling a handle just doesn't work, if it did I'd think you were right.  What I'm thinking is more some sort of kitchen item, similar to a noodle cutter?????   

@tryno2   Yeh, I "get" that and when I first saw that wound end I thought of pasta or rolling, etc. then I see the loop on the other end ... to me that's the action end, it might hook on to a pot hanging over a hearth, etc. ... that's what led me to the insulated handle ... not to mention I'm 10 feet away from my wood stove on a cold wintry day LOL.

Regards,
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

If it rolls/turns, maybe hand held back massager.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

I understand but the way it's made, what you are calling a handle isn't insulating.  Your fingers and hand will still be in contact with the main wire.  Sorry, it just doesn't work.  I've seen you on here for years and you are one of the more helpful posters, so I respect your thoughts, it just doesn't work this time.  

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

@tryno2 wrote:

I understand but the way it's made, what you are calling a handle isn't insulating.  Your fingers and hand will still be in contact with the main wire.  Sorry, it just doesn't work.  I've seen you on here for years and you are one of the more helpful posters, so I respect your thoughts, it just doesn't work this time.  

@tryno2   Well, here I am still pondering that thing ... I restore antique cast iron cookware, since your post I've done searches for antique hearth handles / tools, etc.  Yes, this one is bugging me.  This is the downside to having an engineering mind ... now my curiosity is aroused and by repeated posts your thread will bump up to the top and my hopes are someone will know exactly what that thing is ... otherwise I'm going to go bonkers ... just a few minutes ago I thought, okay, maybe there are two for a set and the loop at the other end actually hangs on a hook or horizontal rod and then a rod goes between the two spiral parts ...

1-handle.jpg

Regards,
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

The spring part will turn, not freely like a spinning pointer but it will turn.  I almost think there is a piece of wood under the spring looking part but the coils are so tight I can't spread them enough to tell.  

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

Nope too short

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

What is it?

But what's the purpose of that setup?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply