cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would appreciate help in identifying a hallmark on a piece

My husband picked up a serving piece with a hallmark on it, pictured below.  The lion did not look “right” but the price was right.  I do not necessarily buy/sell silver, but I would like to put his mind at ease.IMG_4709.jpegIMG_4712.jpegIMG_4713.jpeg

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

I would appreciate help in identifying a hallmark on a piece

@western_estate_sales,

All I can tell you is that is NOT the lion passant hallmark for British/UK sterling, and these do not appear to be British/UK hallmarks at all. They would be considered pseudo-hallmarks, which were against the law in the UK from circa. 1900, but that didn't stop their use in other countries.

A brief google search suggested that these may be North American/USA hallmarks, but for what standard of purity, when, or which manufacturer, I don't know. I would suggest that you continue your research from that starting point.

Tiff & Whiting used a similar-looking arm-and-hammer mark, but the only example shown here is in a completely different shape cartouche, so I don't know if this has anything to do with your piece or not. Bu this is a staring point for you.

https://www.925-1000.com/ax_TifftWhiting.html

Message 2 of 2
latest reply