cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would this be called?

Hi, can someone please tell me what these 2 pieces would be called .... needlepoint, crewel, etc.  I saw the post about 'needlework' but I still have no idea.  Thank you!1.JPG2.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The castle is needlepoint.  The ship is crewel.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you.  Is it better to frame these with or without glass?   Matted?   Thanks again.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I would frame with glass because needlework items tend to collect dust--indeed, anything with thread has a dust all its own.  But I would have them professionally blocked, matted, and framed.  You can do it yourself, of course, but you should make sure that the glass is not resting on the needlework, especially on the crewel piece because there are differing thicknesses of thread there that could get crushed.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Just wanted to add that the crewel piece looks really very nice.  The various needle techniques are really interesting.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you.  These were made by my Grandma many many years ago.  My mom is going to have them framed but she wasn't sure what they were called and if there were special framing considerations with a fabric piece.  I will pass on the info to her.  Really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

And  yes, I'll tell her to find a professional!  Not willing to take this on.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Glad to help.  Your Grandma was an artist! 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you.  She was an awesome lady.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply