cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Everyone...New to Group...Is this Pyrite?

Is this Pyrite? I have looked at several listings on Ebay on Googled many photos but I still can't tell for sure if it is Pyrite. If not, and you know where I can start research please chime in. Anything will be helpful.

Thank you for looking!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Photos are not clear enough to see -- and the lighting is all wrong to tell the color or shape of what could be (or not be) the pyrite crystals. I'm thinking there's a good chance that it is a mica, but I really can't see well enough. If there is a gem and mineral club in your area (or a rockhound, if you can find one), you might try stopping by to ask one of the members to help you out. They can run some very simple tests to tell hardness and streak color to help determine what that is on the host rock.

Good luck and come back to report what you found out!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

It may contain pyrite. Look at the crystals under a magnifying glass (pyrite can have cube or dodecahedral crystal forms). Another metallic that is often confused with pyrite is chalcopyrite, which has a different structure. You can find more information at mindat.org

My currently listed gem rocks
Message 3 of 3
latest reply