cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLUE JOHN from Derbyshire

I just purchased this clock from a local on-line auction. The info given was that the stone was "Blue John" quarried from a mine in North Derbyshire - not sure if seller bought it in UK. I have been googling Blue John and have come across several British (Derbyshire) sites that are selling jewellery and such but have not come across any clocks.... There are also slabs and pieces of Blue John stone for sale - raw & polished. The prices of these stones is amazing and the sizes seem so small. I did not not pay anything like the prices they are asking so I am wondering what the actual value of this "clock" might be. The stone slab itself is about 5.75" wide; about 4.5" tall and about .25" thick.... I did not see any polished "slabs" on any of the sites that seemed to anywhere near the size of this clock.

Any information greatly appreciated. THANKS

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Skyhart,

I have bad news for you. That is not a piece of "Blue John" . It looks like quartz or calcite hard to tell from a photo. 

1. There is no veining as you see in Blue John

2. The crystal structure looks more congomeration than crystal point

3. The clock work is electric and newer, on a Blue John clock I would expect to see a Swiss Movement or Mechanical Clock work.

4. What it is worth? According to eBay rules we can not do that on the boards. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I know that the "clock work" is very modern; just battery operated. I didn't think it was an expensive "clock" - just probably a touristy item. But I thought if the actual stone was Blue John which the seller stated it was, then the stone itself might have some value. I didn't pay a lot for it so I'm not really out anything.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

869a50231a976ede579fda03f127bd3f.jpg

This is a Blue John Slab. 

Unfortunately sellers lie all the time on auctions. I am happy you are not out a lot for the piece. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply