cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Brahmin Bag or Fake???

I just found this cute little backpack style shoulder bag today and couldn't resist buying it.  I noticed a nice hanging medallion and looked it up, to my surprise I discovered an awesome brand I had never heard of, Brahmin!  Naturally, I am now curious to determine if it's authentic or fake.  

According to the Brahmin website, "When purchasing a Brahmin product, look for a few key characteristics that define a genuine Brahmin product, including an official hanging medallion or logo plaque, our chamois interior lining, and our official handbag registration card intact inside the handbag."

Brahmin hanging medallion? Check.

Chamois interior lining? Check.

Official registration card? NOPE

I can't find anything like this on eBay.  I've found a couple items similar (style / exterior texture) elsewhere on the internet, but don't know if those that I've found are authentic, either.  Here are my concerns:  1) It's a gray tweed (?) like front with leather (?) everything else.  2) It does not have feet.  And #3) I can't find "Brahmin" ANYWHERE on the interior.  It's not stamped anywhere, I can't find the tag on the inside, there are no other markings on the interior that identify it as Brahmin.  4) The hanging pocket on the inside has a vinyl-like material back, not leather.

Why I believe it could possibly be authentic: 1) Brahmin medallion looks legit. 🙂   2) On the shoulder straps, to adjust it, the  back of the "pegs" that go into the holes have Brahmin embossed on them.  

Please see pictures.  I'd really love some feedback / opinions on this, whether it's real or fake, and / or a Collection name!  Thanks in advance for your time!

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Yes
Message 31 of 39
latest reply

Can anyone tell me if my Brahmin is authentic?  Looks to me to be the real thing but I’m not sure.  Very high quailty leather(s) with plush liner. Great messenger or saddle bag crossbody. Thanks so very much. Fingers crossed that it’s the real deal. 

Angie

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

Authentic for sure!

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

Your bag is authentic.

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

This is a 3-year old thread! I think the OP who posted in 2015 has already made a decision.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

I have seen FAKE Brahmin bags, being sold at Swsp Meets,  Salons, etc. I started to see them when China was given the  assembly work. This is also when most other fakes appear.  It makes great sense to me!  You are assembling American products, and now you have the architectural design to duplicate.  This is not rocket science.  I too have been buying Brahmin since the 1980s, and was proud to say it was the only bag I knew that hadn’t been faked.  Can’t say that anymore!

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

Ppl are still having the SAME questions.  Many times I find answers  from old threads.

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

Yes, it is true that there is tons of valuable info available for research on old threads,  but from those of us who DONATE HOURS AND HOURS to this board we BEG (YES I’M SCREAMING) ALL to do their research on old threads but NOT bump old threads. It’s a real pain for those that are helping here and if it gets annoying enough, I for one, will be helping out a lot less.

EACH individual thread is for the question of ONE poster and when that thread is answered, board courtesy is to let it fall back so not to attract anyone else’s question, which MUST be posted on a new thread. Be respectful people-in many cases you’re getting free advice and being saved time and money.

After this posts, I’m contacting the mods and asking them to close the thread.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 39 of 39
latest reply