cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stratton Compact Mirror

This Stratton Compact is in perfect condition EXCEPT for a ring around the mirror.  It almost looks like tarnish and does not come off using a Q-tip dampened with Windex.   I am not finding much about cleaning compact mirrors other than be extremely careful with moisture under the rim.  All the mirrors on listings look beautiful so I am thinking there must be a way.  Does anyone know how to clean it off and what it might be?  Thank youIMG_20180704_184703.jpgIMG_20180704_184607.jpgIMG_20180704_181436.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Stratton Compact Mirror

If it's what I think it is, I don't think you can do anything about it.  Mirrors are constructed of a top layer of glass, then below that is a silver nitrate coating that creates the reflectiveness. Behind that is a coating of something else, I think it's a copper sulphate and then the whole thing is sealed with a coat of something else, usually a paint.

The problem is that the protective coat gets compromised over time (you know how paint cracks with age) and that lets air in which oxidizes the silver nitrate and copper sulphate and that creates that edge effect of discoloration.

To the best of my knowledge it can't be reversed.  Really expensive mirrors can be 'resilvered' but that's super pricey.  

It's a really common problem with old mirrors, big and small.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Stratton Compact Mirror

If it's what I think it is, I don't think you can do anything about it.  Mirrors are constructed of a top layer of glass, then below that is a silver nitrate coating that creates the reflectiveness. Behind that is a coating of something else, I think it's a copper sulphate and then the whole thing is sealed with a coat of something else, usually a paint.

The problem is that the protective coat gets compromised over time (you know how paint cracks with age) and that lets air in which oxidizes the silver nitrate and copper sulphate and that creates that edge effect of discoloration.

To the best of my knowledge it can't be reversed.  Really expensive mirrors can be 'resilvered' but that's super pricey.  

It's a really common problem with old mirrors, big and small.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Stratton Compact Mirror

Your message is super helpful.  It seems with the info you give, those who collect vintage compacts will be very aware of the issue and will either accept or reject the compact based on its defect.  I just haven't seen any other listings with a mirror like this.  Thank you so much.  Peggy

Message 3 of 3
latest reply