cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed item

Hi helpers😊. I recently posted a coach bag for sale that I actually bought off eBay. The item was removed for being counterfeit. It is vintage and made in USA and I am nearly certain New York. Can anyone tell me why they think it's not real? Thanks in advance!!!

IMG_20210611_225427.jpg

IMG_20210611_225204.jpg

IMG_20210611_224905.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Removed item

It could very well be real but someone, a competitor maybe, reported it, so eBay took it down. Unless you can get it authenticated, and then prove it to eBay, don't try to relist it.

Removed item

The bag was correctly removed. It is not authentic.

It has an invalid serial number. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

@rebell45 wrote:

It could very well be real but someone, a competitor maybe, reported it, so eBay took it down. Unless you can get it authenticated, and then prove it to eBay, don't try to relist it.

BTW, it's a pet peeve that so many are so quick to assume that it's a "competitor" who reported a listing. 

My conservative guess is that 98% of the sellers of authentic items do NOT consider fellow sellers of similar authentic items to be "competitors." I consider us all to be allies, partners who pride ourselves on doing our homework, verifying that items are genuine BEFORE listing them and preparing good listings with clear and definitive pictures and accurate, full descriptions. 

Why would so many other knowledgeable boardies and I come here (and other forums) to educate, advise and help by offering authentication opinions if we were trying to eliminate the "competition?" 

There's nothing wrong with finding deals and flipping them.  But if you buy from thrift stores, yard sales, other ebay sellers, other online sites or even reselling a gift, unless you (as the seller) are expert enough in the brand to know authenticity, it's in your best interest to have items verified as legal before reselling. And in fact, it's the law!

albertabrightalberta

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

I figured out my problem. It was my fault... mistakenly placed a #1 where an I should have been in the serial number. Duh me🤣🤣🤣

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

ebay has no clue!  i listed a knock off kate spade purse.  of course they took it down.  they sent me an email stating you have to state in listing it is a knock off.  (actually this was in the listing).  i relisted it and they took it down again.  title state KNOCK OFF IN CAPS.    But yet if you go into ebay you will knock off purses listed!!!!!!!   they pick and choose which is discrimination.  you can't list a purse but yet someone can list used UNDERWEAR, USED LINGERIE, DISGUSTING SEX ITEMS.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

@offhajenni wrote:

I figured out my problem. It was my fault... mistakenly placed a #1 where an I should have been in the serial number. Duh me🤣🤣🤣

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the bag is authentic and you described an incorrect serial number? 

DO NOT relist that item because it's absolutely and unquestionably fake. 

And to make it easier for others, I'm adding the creed, enlarged and right side up.

fake coachfake coach

albertabrightalberta

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

I would love for you to make it easy for me and tell me why you think or know so. The serial number if entered correctly does come up and calling coach to verify.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

@offhajenni wrote:

I would love for you to make it easy for me and tell me why you think or know so. The serial number if entered correctly does come up and calling coach to verify.

Your bag is fake and i gave the reason in my first reply to you in post #3 . 

Coach employees are prohibited by company policy from authenticating (even in person) and NO ONE can authenticate over the phone without seeing pictures of the actual item. Even if your bag had a "valid" serial number, that doesn't mean that the bag is authentic. Counterfeiters can (and do) put valid serial numbers on fakes. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

@mapapicker wrote:

ebay has no clue!  i listed a knock off kate spade purse.  of course they took it down.  they sent me an email stating you have to state in listing it is a knock off.  (actually this was in the listing).  i relisted it and they took it down again.  title state KNOCK OFF IN CAPS.    But yet if you go into ebay you will knock off purses listed!!!!!!!   they pick and choose which is discrimination.  you can't list a purse but yet someone can list used UNDERWEAR, USED LINGERIE, DISGUSTING SEX ITEMS.  

Fakes are illegal. Designer inspired items are legal. 

The difference is that counterfeit items copy designer names, trademarked logos, markings, etc. Designer inspired items have the LOOK of the designer branded item but without designer markings. 

If an item is labeled or has designer markings, imprints, logos, fabrics but is not made by that company, it's ILLEGAL to list and sell ANYWHERE, including if it's admitted to be fake. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

@offhajenni wrote:

I'm not AbA but speaking as an authenticator for another designer brand, this isn't something you can learn in 3 easy steps.

This is knowledge acquired over a long time & much research as well as often owning a collection of the designer's goods. (Not always but often). 

It took me several years of studying to be confidant in authenticating Balenciaga and I still make occasional mistakes, especially with the newer bags, last 5 years or so.

All of that said: Nearly all authenticators do not post the "how & why" on the open boards. There are many tiny details & some larger points used in determining if an item is genuine.  The counterfeiters are savvy and they watch sites that post about these things.

We don't want them learning the tricks and adapting their items to account for those discrepancies..

Anyway, perhaps Alberta will share her determining factors with you perhaps not- but simply having a correct serial number is definitely not enough to deem an item authentic. 

CHEERS

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

@offhajenni 

BTW, although your bag claims to be style 9057, that bag is NOT what the style looks like!  Even if it looked like the correct style, it would still be fake, but this is one of the reasons why Coach nor anyone else can "authenticate" based on the serial number. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

@offhajenni wrote:

And to hopefully put to rest, for this thread anyway, that nonsense about "calling Coach to authenticate" - from Coachs website under Brand protection:

w ww DOT coach DOT com/brand-protection DOT ht m l

"...We do not respond to requests to authenticate product or identify authorized distributors. Please note that if a deal or price sounds too good to be true, it probably is. We do not sell our products at flea markets, through street vendors, or in kiosks in malls..."

That purse is fake. PERIOD.

"On the Internet, no one knows if youre a dog.
EVERYONE knows if youre an idiot."
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Removed item

@mapapicker wrote:

Selling unauthorized illegal copies or ripoffs of any brand with logos, trademarks, names, etc  protected by US and international copyright and trademark laws is a FELONY. It doesnt matter how big the words in the listing are, if something is a violation of copyright laws youre commiting a felony by selling it. And Ebay is completely within their rights if they permanently ban you from selling on their site for violating their own Rules and US Federal Law.

Read the bleedin Rules.

"On the Internet, no one knows if youre a dog.
EVERYONE knows if youre an idiot."
Message 14 of 14
latest reply