cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging sales tax on home-sold Coach boots

Hello Ebay Community,

I bought a pair of Coach rain boots with a "best offer."  I received my notice "the item is on its way" but, the seller didn't get a tracking number and I just realized the seller also charged me sales tax.  The boots were pictured in the seller's home and I feel adding tax was a way to get more money.  The boots are coming from New York to New Jersey and unless I'm ordering from a Coach store, I shouldn't be charged sales tax.  In addition, there is no mention any place in the listing letting me know this seller is collecting sales tax.

I've sent two messages to the seller requesting a tracking number and for the seller to return the sales tax amount back into my paypal account.  I haven't heard back yet.

I have the listing number, if anyone needs to see the listing page.

Thank you for your advice.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sales tax refund received in my paypal account.  Not sure why seller thought she/he had to collect this in the first place. Is the paypal invoice confusing?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Received a reply from the seller; didn't know not to charge sales tax based on the PayPal invoice. And, no tracking number, because I used a P.O. Box.

A fairly new seller. Let's see how long it takes to get my sales tax returned.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Sales tax refund received in my paypal account.  Not sure why seller thought she/he had to collect this in the first place. Is the paypal invoice confusing?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@timneh wrote:
And, no tracking number, because I used a P.O. Box.

There should still be a tracking number. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 4
latest reply