cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 GOTTA MAKE MONEY SUPPORT GROUP Second Quarter!

large.jpeg

Woot!  Here we are with a chance to make a fresh start....brush the cobwebs off your old listings and your old mindsets and let's go!  We're a group of eBay sellers who enjoy talking about our great finds, good sales, and life in general.  We welcome newbies and lurkers, and promise we don't bite!

THIS IS THE SECOND QUARTER THREAD AS WE'VE ALREADY GOTTEN TO 700 ON THE ORIGINAL THREAD!  GLAD TO SEE YOU HERE!

Here are our best ideas, culled from years of selling experience:

1) LIST IN A VARIETY OF FORMATS - Try some regular auctions, auctions with Buy it Now, Fixed Price, and Fixed Price with Best Offer---try some with free shipping too. Not only will you get a better idea what works for YOU, but you'll offer buyers a variety of buying options.

2) OPTIMIZE YOUR LISTINGS – By using the free Terapeak Keyword app (find it in the Applications tab), practice how to take better photos, change the keywords on your listing titles regularly, change the opening blurb in your store header every now and then, and experiment with price changes UP as well as DOWN! Run Sales on a regular basis with the Markdown Manager and also learn how to set up Promotions on your Store listings for better visibility.

3) DON'T LET YOUR UNSOLD LISTINGS LAY AROUND - Check your My eBay page and click on Unsold...get those relisted ASAP! You've already done all the work, so be sure they're available to buyers. More listings = more bait in the water = more bites. 😄

4) OPEN A STORE - If you are wondering whether you are better off with a BASIC store or a PREMIUM store, figure that if you have over 250 store items, Premium is a better buy....under 250, Basic is....this is at least a rule of thumb to get you started. Stores used to be great places to put items and keep them available year round, but with the fee changes, maybe not so much - sit down and figure it all out.

However, there are at least four really good reasons to have a store.... 1) listing fees are less if you have a store, 2) your items can be separated into categories making it much easier for buyers to shop, 3) you can run Promotions and Markdown Manager sales. They are two different ways to generate sales!, and 4) you can put your store in vacation mode when you need to get away for a bit.

5) DEAL WITH BIDDERS, BUYERS, AND ANNOYING INQUISITIVE POTENTIAL BIDDERS IN A PATIENT AND FRIENDLY WAY - Remember that it's worth money in your pocket and it's good business sense to show respect to all. If you must, write up that snarky reply, laugh at it, then hit delete.

6) KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE! This thread is all about MAKING MONEY, that's for sure, but we feel that being supportive of our Lister Sisters and Brothers helps ALL of us. Drop in and hang out! Venting is allowed, but take it easy on the drama, negative vibes and controversial, off-topic issues such as politics and religion.

Message 1 of 416
latest reply
415 REPLIES 415

Received my highest score to date a couple of weeks ago. I got a 163; I need a 168.

Miss you girls. Don't let the thread die.
Always place a HAPPY price on your items. You never know, one of your buyers may be HAPPY to buy it from you.
Message 196 of 416
latest reply

Yes, it's good to spread my items to other venues. Thanks!

Message 197 of 416
latest reply

Go go gogo!!  Hi Princess!

Great stuff, and I'm fine with keeping the thread going, just need people to talk to is all!  😄    Man, soon you'll have that test DOWN!  

Beth

Message 198 of 416
latest reply

TGIF, in the meantime!  I have to work tomorrow, but have some pictures ready to go and will do some listing tonight and tomorrow for my Sunday auctions.  Would love some company if anyone cares to join me!  

We've finally gotten some sunny weather after weeks of rain---now looks like the SE is getting it!  Hunker down if you're in one of the stormy areas!

Hugs!

Message 199 of 416
latest reply

Hi Beth,

I'm hiring my 16 yr old dd to take photos for me.  I like having a steady stream of photos ready to go when I have time to sit down and list.  And she needs money -- has applied several places but hasn't been able to find a job.  Sales have been good. I'm up 34% over last month and 228% over this time last year.  I think the promoted listings thing has really helped though I went over my $25 credit in fees so have turned my campaigns off for the next few days until next quarter's credit kicks in.

Rain, rain and more rain here.  Where is our summer?  Been spending time still following up from our garage sale by purging and reorganizing.  dd25 and dd 23 are both home -- with all their STUFF so our house feels very cluttered.  Ugh!  It's an ongoing battle.        

Was supposed to go to an outdoor movie w dd16 last night but it got rained out. 

Gogo, congrats on raising your score.  How horrible about someone dying at the GW. The article didn't give many details but that must have been hard on those there when it happened. 

HELLO out there!!! Chime in old and new folks!

"Penny" -- Atlanta area, ebay seller for 2.5 years, Mom to 4 amazing offspring, DD 24, DD 22, DS 19 and DD 16, loves line dancing, reading and live theatre (esp. musicals), one pet - Thor the pupnado - a one year old Staffie mix,
Message 200 of 416
latest reply

Boy, Penny, that's a great idea, hiring your daughter….it's a win-win!  I was WAY up for sales earlier this month, but way down just this week despite a lot of listing.  I need to get caught up, I think, with my relists as there are a lot of potential sales sitting offline.  That's #1 on my list right now!  Get as much "bait" out there as I can!

I really don't understand promoted listings as well as I should.  Would you mind just giving me (and other readers) the gist of it?  How much are you paying for promotions, for example, and how much would you estimate you're getting in return?   Have you determined a strategy?

Oh, man, we had SO MUCH RAIN when we got back from vacation on June 4th--I know what you mean.  It's just this week that we've seen a decent amount of sun and BOY am I happy about that!  Enjoyed floating in the pool all afternoon today, alternating with reading in a chaise lounge--that's the life.  😄

We have another vacation coming up in mid-July, so I really want to keep ebay in high gear for now.  Would love to have the $ in PayPal as well as the clutter reduced.  Back to listing, in fact!  

Hugs!

Message 201 of 416
latest reply

Hi everyone 🙂

Wow, the board looks strange. It's been a while since I've been here. Thank you Beth for keeping tabs on me, it's very  much appreciated.

Things here are okay other than sales. They stink and I need POSITIVE reinforcement so here I am 🙂 I don't respond well to negativity and I know I have an overly thin skin.

I'm listing now, I havent' been able to in forever because sales were so bad I couldn't get money for fresh inventory, and I couldn't get fresh inventory because sales were down.  Catch 22.  We had to take out a small bank loan and got a little extra so I was able to shop.

Will be excited to see who is still posting here, I missed you all.  

Oh my big news is I am going Thursday to get a memorial tattoo for Em. It's going to be on myf oot (and it will be my first and last tattoo) so I  know it's gonna hurt lol  I will post a picture when it's done, I'm excited about it.

Love you guys!

BTW, does Susieq ever post?  We were RL friends but I got a new phone and lost her number. She's not on facebook but she is listing (and won't answer messages) so I  know nothing has happened to her. 

See you tomorrow 🙂

Ronda

Message 202 of 416
latest reply

Good morning, Ronda!  Wonderful to see you!

I've been doing a lot of re-working of my older listings and have had some success with that.   Before I just hit "relist" or "sell similar", I choose out a batch that could use some freshening up and simply re-do the title or move the pictures around so that the gallery picture changes.  Sometimes I use the label shot or the mid-range shot instead of the overall.  That's helping!

Last we "talked", you were working at the bakery.  Is that still a go?  How's our Michael?  He must be about married by now 😄  Cool on the tattoo!  Can't wait to see that, so don't forget to post pictures.

It's sure been quiet around here!  I had a SUPER week after we got home from a 2 week vacation in late May and re-opened my store.  Slower since then, but of course when I list more, I sell more too!

Hugging you!!

Message 203 of 416
latest reply

Hi Beth, I forgot about changing font size, sorry!

No, no more work with the bakery.  I am working part time with my husband at the store he is the acting manager of.  Just a couple of days a week.  It isn't the best place for me. It's where I had to tell him about Emily and that awful moment replays over and over while I am there. I dont' know how he does it. He is working 70 hours a week with no days off, so I can't quit, he would have to work more hours.

I've been tweeking old listings too. I had things written like EILEEN FISHER TOP Small Blue etc, but was advised to take out the all caps and just capitalize every word, so I've been working on slowly doing that. I took new gallery pics of some stale listings but that didn't seem to help either.  Did a bunch of end/sell similar. I did wake up to 5 sales overnight, 4 of which were items I just listed last night, Lilly Pulitzer tees. 

Michael is great! He turned 9 this month. I'm homeschooling him now.  I begged and begged the school to get him help and they kept saying he didn't qualify.  He was failing everything but art and PE.  Finally they got him a reading tutor and he brought up his 30 to a 60. So they said since he showed so much improvement he no longer qualified for an assistance.  So at the end of the semester I snatched him out of there.  I love homeschooling him! We went with a Christian based program called Abeka. It's pretty fast paced but that's the thing with homeschooling, I can go at his pace.  We are still working on his 3 x table though in the book they are about to stat on 5x.  My goal is to get him caught up and on track and then put him back in public school when he starts 6th grade.

Thank you for the warm welcome back!   I will check back in later.  Hugs to you too!

We only do it one day a week here in the summer though.

Message 204 of 416
latest reply

Beth, did I come back and run everyone else off ? 😞

On my way now to get a pedi, gotta have cute feet when I go for my tattoo tomorrow lol

Message 205 of 416
latest reply

Haha, hi, Ronda, no!  I just got settled in after work and ended up going for a swim.

Great to hear about Michael---can't believe he's 9 already!!  My niece homeschools her 2 and they're doing well with the one-on-one attention for sure.  WOW, Wes is working over 70 hours a week, that's amazing.   Paychecks must be awesome, but at some point, you need the rest more than you need the money.....good for you for helping, but sounds like they need at least one other person too!

I've been using capitals in my titles forever and it never seemed to affect my sales one way or the other.  It's amazing how everyone has a theory, right?!  I always say if there was one right way to do it, we'd all do it that way.

Hugging you!  Can't wait to see pictures of the new tattoo!

Message 206 of 416
latest reply

You'd think he would be banking but sadly no.  They have him at a set salary which is much, much less than what they pay the actual manager.  They are just using him.  They have offered him 3 stores but he turned them down waiting for this one (and 2 of them we would have had to moved) and now they say he isn't qualified even though he has been doing it since January.   He's been with the store 15 years, time to find something else.

How are you doing anyways?

Message 207 of 416
latest reply

bsbk13

Hello and how are you doing? 

Message 208 of 416
latest reply

Hi Ronda and Princess!    I'm doing fine!  We had a 2 week trip out to the midwest in May and had a great time, ended up at my brother's place right across the river from the Twin Cities.  He and my SIL took a week off and really showed us a good time.  We've got another 2 week trip planned for later this summer up to the cottage in Pennsylvania and are really looking forward to that too.

Man, that stinks that they're taking advantage of Wes like that!  I'm glad you're there to help, but I hate that kind of corporate thing where they'll just use him.  

Had 2 good sales overnight, and I LIKE THAT!  😄

Message 209 of 416
latest reply

Yay Beth!! Congrats for good sales and vacations!

Got my tattoo today.  I was freaked out from everyone telling me how bad it was gonna hurt. It did hurt, but not as bad as I had been told.    It's also bigger than I planned but I love it.  It has two things kind of hid in it (one easier seen than the other). See if you can find them 🙂

tattoo.jpg

Message 210 of 416
latest reply