cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to Do With iPad

I almost always end up selling my iPads when I upgrade to a new one. But I'm in a quandry with this one. According to the Apple Genius Bar, my iPad is dead and would need a repair. The cost to repair it through Apple or another company would be about as much as the ipad (A 12.9 inch WiFi+Cellular 3rd gen) would sell for used.

The tech said, the data on it is most likely gone. So do I just recycle it or can I sell it?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

What to Do With iPad

Watch some of Louis Rossmann's videos on YouTube. The Genius Bar is notorious for telling you that it will cost hundreds or thousands to repair simple problems that take Louis about five minutes to fix, without replacing any parts.

You probably should take it to a more qualified/competent repair shop than the Genius Bar. Until you know what's actually wrong with it, you can't really make an informed decision on how to proceed.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

What to Do With iPad

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked Louis' site and he doesn't seem to have anything on iPad. The deal is that the iPad is pretty much toast. I've looked online and while repair estimates are cheaper through other people, it's still going to cost what the iPad sells for used if not more.

I don't know what my family member did exactly. But my best guess is that they didn't use the apple power supply or something similar when charging and the iPad got fried. It happened to a second iPad as well. Same issue. Screen wouldn't turn on, even though it was fine and not damaged physically. I've looked through every solution I can find and it's just dead. I may try to see if there's anyone who tinkers with them locally. But I really don't need/want the ipad anymore. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

What to Do With iPad

The iPads I have purchased since generation 5 have been burning up a component on the board.  They are not easy to get apart with all the glue/whatever to keep people from repairing.  Once apart it is soldered on so  only places that are experienced and have the equipment needed can even try to fix.  Then you have the issue of finding the part that failed.  When calling around almost everyone wouldn't touch ipad 6th generation.  A repair tech recommended a home electronic warranty program that if it can't be fixed they replace it with brand new item as close to what you had.  

They ended up sending generation 8 ipad with 128gb memory (4x previous).  The copay was 100.  Didn't have to show reciept or anything.  I am about to take a laptop that just was dropped and see how that goes.  If it goes well I will keep it or if not cancel it.  For newer better ipad it will have cost 160.00 if I cancel.

People do buy things sometimes for the parts but if it broke unexpectedly your data is on there still with no way to remove it.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply