cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Scam with iPhones

6514steve
Enthusiast

I recently sold an Apple iPhone to someone in the Ukraine.  The item was shipped and I provided a shipping number to the buyer.  Shipment was made through USPS via PayPal.  The buyer recently emailed me saying the phone never arrived and now wants their money back.

At this point, I have called USPS, PayPal, and eBay.  USPS told me once the item leaves the US it cannot be tracked.  PayPal told me to wait until 20 days to see if the buyer files a "claim".  eBay told me there has been extensive problems with iPhones purchased through eBay to the Ukraine and Eastern Europe and the matter needs to be investigated.

At no point was I able to open or leave feedback about the buyer which doesn't make sense.  This entire case appears to be a fraud.  I guess the sellers are the victims.

Please be aware of this problem.  If you are going to ship items overseas then ship by FedEx or UPS.  I WILL NOT SHIP ANOTHER ITEM INTERNATIONALLY!

There is NO protection for sellers if you ship something internationally via USPS.  It's simply ridiculous.

Please feel free to contact me if you have had similar experiences.  This is the second time I have been stolen from.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

I too just experienced this. I wish I had read this first. Did you get any resolution?

Message 76 of 89
latest reply

the buyer that scam me is europeshopingbuy sound familiar to any one?

Message 77 of 89
latest reply

what was the outcome at the end?

Message 78 of 89
latest reply

I just had a few buyers from the Ukraine bid on my iPhone listing... Seemed fishy to me so I googled it... Thank you for this thread... Needless to say I will not ship this... I'll eat any fees if I have to but I'm not getting scammed..
Message 79 of 89
latest reply

This exact thing just happened to me.

Buyer in Ukraine received a full refund, and my iPhone.

The USPS tracking number shows that it departed the USA, and is still in transit.

PayPal originally said the transaction has seller protection - but they cant offer me any remedy because there is no "proof of delivery". Same with eBay.

Message 80 of 89
latest reply

Seller Protection my A.

Well this just happened to me and the beauty of it is, I have done all I can to resolve the issue legally.  I sent the buyer the IPhone with everything in the box packaged up in another box and after a month(it went to Sri Lanka), he claims he got the package, but all that was in it was the phone box, headphones and AC Adapter and no phone or charging cable.

I called USPS to notify them but since you cannot get insurance on First Class International (my first clue, wish I would have read this first), all they can do is start a theft investigation which they did.  I called the last depot it was at (in my case, if you track the package it says it went from Jamaica, NY, to Miami, FL, to Jamaica, NY, which doesn't help me at all because she stated that the package went through customs) Problem is, after seeing what you all have gone through, this guy clearly knew what he was doing.  So I called ebay, spoke to 3 different customer service reps (none of who speak clear English) and got different answers every time all stating that if you let "eBay" step in to resolve the case, you're probably going to lose.  Meanwhile, Paypal has a "hold" on the money in my account and when I went to call them to find out why, they transferred me to eBay, not taking any responsibility.

After an hour harassing customer service, who were as not helpful at all, I asked to speak to someone with the power to bend the "rules" and got transferred to someone in the appeals department, who then proceeded to tell me that if ebay steps in to resolve this issue, the Buyer "has to" provide documentation (Police Report claiming package was stolen) before they will do anything.  But from the sounds of everyone here, that did not happen for you and I'm screwed.  You live and learn.  I will never ever ship another package internationally again, and from the sounds of things, I have to put insurance on everything I send from now on because they can scam you with a US Address.  I think I just need to find somewhere else that gives a **bleep** about people who make their site what it is.  I've been buying and selling things through ebay since it's inception, so I guess customer loyalty doesn't mean a thing.

What really irks me is my buyer is calling me a liar in the case resolution.  The audacity of this man.  His ebay name is slexport and he "claims" to buy iPhones through ebay to "resell" to people in Sri Lanka, and in this case taking an advance from his buyer (which is why he needs his money), and if anyone ever does business with this person, steer clear.  Man I feel so stupid,   Ebay sure likes to tell you how "easy" it is to trade in old tech for cash, more like sell it and get screwed.  Never again.

Message 81 of 89
latest reply

Hi, I found this post while doing my own research. I also am a seller from the US who accidentally forgot to deselect international shipping from my listing. I am extremely skeptical about shipping to Ukraine, and am afraid of a scam myself. The buyer requested an invoice and has already paid, but I don't want to just mail it out and hope for the best. It also seems that they have positive buyer feedback, which is a little more promising, but not all that reassuring. Did you ever get any resolution or reimbursement?

Message 82 of 89
latest reply

I've had a problem with an Iphone as well.  However the buyer was in the US. They waited over 2 weeks after receiving it to request a refund, telling me that it couldn't connect to their service... even though I had already made sure with Sprint it was ready to sell to someone else... They had kept harassing me in messages and ebay sided with them and told them to send the item back to me.. which that was a week ago and no tracking has been updated since, and no response to the case.. and paypal now has the money pending.. So they I guess thought I was just going to refund them and let them keep it... 

I've learned my lesson to not sell Apple products.

Message 83 of 89
latest reply

Just had this happen to us as well.  I sent it by Priority Mail and tracking was as follows:

Saturday, May 28, 2016 10:48 AMUADELIVERED
Saturday, May 28, 2016 5:10 AMUAARRIVAL AT POST OFFICE
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:35 PMN/AAttempted Delivery - Item forwarded / redirected
Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:00 AMN/AArrival at Post Office
Monday, May 23, 2016 6:18 PMN/ACustoms clearance processing complete

Buyer sent me a translated notice from ukrposhta.ua indicating that sender had redirected the package; however, when I went to the site and did all the translations for each step, it did not show the message he sent me.

eBay should have a pop up notice of countries to avoid and/or take more secure precautions for sellers of cell phones since they are going overboard to encouragethe sale of used cell phones (particularly the iPhone) on their site.

The buyer has opened a case with PayPal but is demanding that I pay him back directly as he cannot wait.  Of course, I'm not going to do that, just alerting others what may now be part of the scam.

Message 84 of 89
latest reply

I am living in Europe and there IS issues with easten scammers as well as Ucrania there are in Denmark issues with peoble the take afvantage of the migration from south to Europe they take over the homeless shelters terrorising and pushes native born homeless and the staff of those shelters is blinded in the name of humanitarian idiology and let them refurbish their stolen items in their activety workshops
Why i know as former homeless I've been walking round i three years 'till signing the contract of this home and and know of esspecially Romanians have 1-2 persons with an address that puts out online what up amongst 16 persons steal diving into the things of benefit that is donated in re-use containers and left to be found i the morning to be picked up by the staff and densly populated getto areas moms from the country areas job relocate occasionally has to hold kids from school after after they take shoes placed outside the door
Message 85 of 89
latest reply

The exact same thing just happened to me! I called USPS again today for the third time and I was told that there are government restrictions on Iphones which mean they will not be delivered, they are confiscated on arrival in Ukraine. I have also lost my phone and $272 because eBay did not offer any seller protection and refunded the buyer.

Message 86 of 89
latest reply

ebay will always take the side of the buyer , which is a shame really as sellers are what ebay what it is today....

Message 87 of 89
latest reply

hey, i'm not a seller i'm actually a buyer and i need help, i am trying to purchase an unlocked iphone 7, never used ebay and am afraid from getting a scam. the seller says it's "new" and NOT "new other" , however when i asked he said the box is not sealed, it's opened as he needed to activate it and make sure it's unlocked...does this make sense to you as an iphone seller? , i mean why would someone check if it's unlocked if they got it from apple as factory unlocked ?. He says it has 1 year warranty from apple which is comforting. And openly negotiated the price and accepted a good bargain for me. was very decent in communicating, all that is really good but i feel like the phone maybe USED and he's trying to sell it as new...any help ????
Message 88 of 89
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 89 of 89
latest reply