cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pirated/bootlegged DVDS

Buyers who are buying dvds from this site, beware! Because if You are looking to buy a new released dvd, You take a big chance of getting one that is not a legal copy. Piracy of dvd's are becoming more common then not on eBay! Things to look for. Prices. If the price seems to good to be true, then chances are it is. Is this always the case? No, not always. Because some times the crooks will charge same price as walmat ,amazon. 99.9 percent of new released movies are made on duel layered discs. This means the disc size is around 8gb, the bootleged ones are on a 4gb disc. Why is this? Because it is hard for them to copy them on a 9gb disc, because they will get to many errors. A leagal dvd, by the company that is owner of the movie, or has been contracted to make the DVDS, press the movie on to the disc, they don't use a pc to copy it on there. That is something a bootlegger is not going to do. Why? Because it would cost them around a million dollars to buy a dvd press! So they arent going to do that. another thing, if You are buying a new released dvd, look at the art work in case. The corners on a leagal dvd is rounded off, bootlegged ones are pointed, like a printing paper. Is this always the case? 99.9 percent of the time, yes. If the seller doesn't have a picture of the actual item they are selling, and use a stock photo, then demand a picture of item they are selling. If they send you a picture, look it over real good. Make sure it has a rich texture to it. Most of the time a bootlegs art cover is darker by sight then the real ones. Lastly, if You buy one, and You start to play it and it skips, freezes up, Unless Your DVD player is junk, You have bought Yourself a bootlegged, number one, Pirated DVD! Mind You I am talking about movies made in the past few years. Not ones made a decade ago. I hope this helps some. Oh, and by the way, If You are buying seasons of TV series. You really don't want a bootleg. Because it takes at least an 8gb disc, for the shows to look good. If a person puts , lets say 4 shows on one disc and it is a 4gb disc, it isn't going to look all that great. I bought Justified, the complete series once. I put that puppy into play, and the picture looked like a sand storm was comming through. Needless to say, I was peeved! eBay told me to send it back, and they would refund my money. Well needless to say I was stuck with them. Because it is against Fed. Law! to ship, illegal/pirated DVDs through the US postal service. So I learned my lesson. If I buy a move on eBay, I buy Blu ray! Yes, it is true people bootleg Blu rays also, but not that much. It costs them more money to make, and it takes longer to copy them. Never will buy dvds again! Just saying.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Pirated/bootlegged DVDS

This doesn't happen NEARLY as much as you think. 'More Often Than Not' would mean the majority of new DVD's on the site are fake. True there are some still (was more common early on rather than now) but not the majority. I'm sorry you got a fake item. I did once and had to return via UPS which doesn't have the same strict rules about shipping bootlegs. That was not cool and was the only negative feedback I've ever left.

Sometimes these things happen. But not EVERYTHING is fraud.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Pirated/bootlegged DVDS

I have some bad news for you.  The pirating is of Blu-rays as well.  There are many sellers who are short-changing buyers with their cheap Chinese knock off blu-rays (mostly Disney)  If there is no picture of the item you wish to purchase, no digital copy or disney movie rewards included, or the playback side  of the blu-ray disc is blackish in color- IT IS NOT AUTHENTIC!!!

TOO MANY BOOTLEG DISNEYBLU-RAY  SELLERS ON EBAY!

REPORT THEM    THEY ARE KILLING YOUR BUSINESS, RIPPING YOU OFF, AND LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK

EBAY, TAKE A STAND AGAINST THIS!!!  PLEASE!

John Matthews
Message 3 of 3
latest reply