cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell monitor and Lenovo Laptop

I purchased a Dell monitor that has a VGA port and my Lenovo laptop has a HDMI port.  I connected a cable that has VGA to HDMi.  The video is great on the monitor, but I can' hear any sound on the monitor. How can I resolve this?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

VGA can't process audio signals unfortunately. If the monitor has any other audio input ports or a speaker attached you could just connect a cable to the computer and monitor 

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

As noted by panda* vga does not support audio so just one thing to check and is what playback device Windows has defaulted to . 

My guess is having connected to hdmi out , Windows may still designate DigitalAudio (hdmi) as the sound playback device as noted in the sound applet within control panel or app volume device preferences within settings

If this happens after implementing  a line out solution ( via the laptops headphone socket) there will be no sound out   , and so to enable  sound you will have to manually change the sound default  playback device from Digital Audio (HDMI)  to Speakers 

Just a thought 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

better still get a cheap tv that has hdmi on it and get rid of moitor,   that would be byfar the best thing to do as hdmi is better than vga  and hdmi to hdmi cables so so cheap.

hdmi is the new but works cross platforms  so  any pc laptop can plug into any tv as long as it has a hdmiyou can plug it in ..........

Message 4 of 4
latest reply