cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an outdated device count as defective?

A buyer bought a new (but out-of-the-box) Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 from me and then asked for a refund saying the item was not-as-described/defective because it was outdated and some app she was trying to use from the Google Play store was not compatible with it.

My listing said No Returns first of all, which I've read apparently means nothing on eBay. Anyways, I never accepted her return request because as far as I'm concerned the tablet worked properly and compatibility with recent apps should not dub it defective.

Yet eBay "stepped in" yesterday and ruled in her favor seconds later which I'm willing to bet was a fully automated process. I'm thinking of calling eBay about it but I'm wondering if they'll agree on me on a device not being defective on the sole account that it's outdated.

What do you think?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
Was this a new item? your description makes it sound used. Anyways since they opened a defection item case it doesn't matter what you say or do.

The key information missing in your item description is the operating system version - all it says is "android" when it should have stated 3.1 honeycomb which is 6 years outdated and no longer supported. So I guess it could be not as described by not having the correct info.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The item was new without original packaging.

But the device's model is described in the title. Isn't that enough to know what OS it can go up to?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I just zoomed in with a magnifying glass on that giant wall of run-on text under product information and low and behold 3.0 honeycomb is listed as the operating system.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@otakuheaven_101 wrote:

The item was new without original packaging.

But the device's model is described in the title. Isn't that enough to know what OS it can go up to?

Yes, that's what I did - searched the model number at Samsung to get the specs then searched the android version list to see what was still supported, most twitter-brains only want to turn it on and do nothing else that requires thinking - you must spell it all out for them, you may not have gotten a sale because of how old it was but then you would not have had to pay return shipping either.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Oh, is that that default info and specs text that eBay usually puts on listings?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

If you sell a wireless device it's on you to make sure you're keeping track of specs that matter, like supported wireless protocols, operating systems, etc. Stuff like that literally changes on a daily basis and it's very important.

If you listed it and made an assumption about the specs that turned out to be incorrect, that's grounds for a SNAD. Sorry that happened to you; it's not unusual at all unfortunately.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply