cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kammer-Reinhardt ID help

Hi! Hoping someone who is familiar with Kammer-Reinhardt might know the style and/or age of this doll. Got this in a clown grouping of items but not familiar with the maker other than what I found thru googles.

Porcelain head and neck/torso style, connected by a ball socket.

Open mouth, glass eyes, small dimple on the chin, no pierced ears.

Lower legs and arms are porcelain, cloth stuffed body. K * R mark on back with no style number marked.

Signed J. Bidmead (?) 19” length

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Kammer-Reinhardt ID help

I am in agreement with the person who posted a variation of this response on Reddit: Modern hobby doll made by using the original K&R molds. 1980s onward. Bidmead (?) is the person who made the doll. I think the mold is 116.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Kammer-Reinhardt ID help

Yep, absolutely a modern hobby doll. The patents have run out on all the antique doll molds, so they came into public use decades ago. So they display the manufacturer's mark because they use the original molds. There are several things that indicate this is a hobbyist doll. The most obvious is the signature, which is common on hobbyist dolls. Also, no antique bisque dolls were painted as clowns. And the body and the way the shoulder plate is attached to it are modern.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Kammer-Reinhardt ID help

thanks @kathiec @micesco-0 

It struck as being an newer artists doll because as you mentioned it's got such a modern look. I wasn't sure, but initially though the artist had reclaimed/reused actual K*R parts on their make from an old doll. Hadn't occurred to me someone would recast the porcelain parts 🤔. I'd seen & read about recast ceramics like McCoy etc, but that connection didn't jump out at me that the whole-doll was new parts.

Makes sense someone would once those patents run out, I see.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply