cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Identifying Vintage Vogue Baby Dear Doll and checking authenticity

Hello, 

I have a vintage Vogue Doll that is probably from the 1960s. It looks exactly like a Baby Dear doll, and the tag on the back of her neck says "Vogue Dolls Inc." She is about 11" tall, has a cloth body, and winds up to play music and move her head. However, every Baby Dear doll listing says that she should have a marking of "E. Wilkin", and I am unable to find it. Was there a line of Baby Dear dolls that fits this description? Would there ever have been a line that was unmarked? 

Thank you in advance! 

IMG_2536.JPGIMG_2537.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I have my doll that is just like yours without the E Wilkin. Her music box is broken. That's all I know. I'm going to search old Christmas photos and determine what year I got her.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The outstretched thumb makes me think 'Thumbelina', but that was an Ideal doll. Hmmm....

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

That was my first thought.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@tiny_tailor wrote:

That was my first thought.

OMG… I flashed  on my old one! I don't remember that big crank dial on the back... but I was so little that it would have made sense to make it that large. LOL

Plus, mine had her lips pursed to accommodate that thumb. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I also have an 18" doll that looks exactly like the Baby Dear doll.  Unfortunately the tag on the neck is missing and the only markings I can find on her is "1960" on the back of her left leg.  I have the little two piece outfit that was originally on the doll and it looks exactly like the Baby Dear outfit but there are no tags on the clothing.  I'm puzzled.  Can't imagine there would have been another manufacturer that would be allowed to make an exact replica of  Baby Dear.  Any "look a likes" that I've seen don't even come close.  I don't know how to positively identify her as "Baby Dear".  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@archmeyer37 

This is what I found in my Vogue book by Izen and Stover.

Vogue came out with a Moving Musical model of Baby Dear in 1962... The 18" BD had a Swiss musical action mechanism inside her and played "rock-a-bye baby". She had a round wooden button sticking out of her lower back...

The Moving Musical Baby Dear also came in a 12" size with a metal shaft with gripper surface which can be wound and plays "Lullaby and Good Night" as the doll wiggles.

MMBDs were marked the same way as BD: E. Wilkin (on their left leg).

BD was a huge success. Millions were sold. She was so popular that she inspired many imitations including one by the Jolly Toy Company which is unmarked.

It also state the back of the 1960-1964 dolls were marked on the back Vogue Dolls/Inc. in blue writing on a white tag.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply