cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before and Afters - Share Yours!

Please post your before and afters on this thread.  Big or small, whole rehab or just a refreshing....and tell us how you did it!

I will start.  Here is Ideal 14" Sonja Henie doll before and after.  The crochet ensemble is "Bare Back Rider" by Mary Hoyer.....

Here is Before:

$_57.jpg

terri b photo terrib.jpg

I'm havin' fun!
Message 1 of 211
latest reply
210 REPLIES 210

All these makeovers are just amazing! I love them all!

marym52:  I just got my first ever 27" compo Shirley today! 

It was impressive opening her up...I can't imagine the little girl who opened her for birthday or Christmas...

I had never even seen one this size in person! A dear friend allowed me to adopt her since she needed some tlc.... I already tightened her strings (need some cord to restring her)  I cannot wait to clean her up and get some clothes on her. I am a little scared of her wig...I don't want to wash the curls out!  I'll post pics when I'm done!

Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
~Charlie Chaplin~
Message 121 of 211
latest reply

Can't wait to see your new Shirley!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

~Herm Albright
Message 122 of 211
latest reply

18" Miss Revlon

RevVT18MissRevlonBA.jpg

Goldie
Message 123 of 211
latest reply

Beautiful, beautiful work, ladies. Goldie, I love the fabric and color on that dress...Did you make that?

I am so glad to see this topic is alive and well - It's one of my favorites. Keep them coming, ladies!!

Here are my recently completed 1972 Shindana Baby Nancy (Zuri mold) dolls.

HISTORY

As the first "ethnically-correct" black doll marketed in the United States, Baby Nancy is a historic doll in the category of Black Doll Collecting. This is actually the 2nd Baby Nancy issued, using the Baby Zuri mold. The original Baby Nancy had a toothy smile & big cheeks (see last photo) and was issued in 1969 (dated 1968). In operation from 1968-1982, Shindana was the first and largest Black-owned toy company in the world. They ceased operations 6 years after the tragic death of its founder & his daughter in an automobile accident. Had it not been for that fateful day, Shindana may still be going strong today. Kudos to Shindana for a job well done...These dolls are 42 years old and still clean up beautifully - That's quality!!

BEFORE - L: 13" doll with soft hair                           R: 12" doll with afro hair

1972 Zuri Mold Shindana Nancy Doll 1.JPG1972 Zuri Mold Shindana Nancy Doll 2.JPG

AFTER

1972 Zuri Mold Shindana Nancy Doll 1 - AFTER.JPG1972 Zuri Mold Shindana Nancy Doll 2 - AFTER.JPGDSC06857 a.JPG

Here's the Nancy / Zuri family

On screen we have the original Baby Nancy w/short afro hair on the left, Baby Zuri (a little boy w/molded hair) in the center, and Baby Nancy w/ponytail hair on the right. Because she was made using the Baby Zuri mold, the 1972 Baby Nancy dolls have molded hair beneath their rooted hair.

1972 Shindana Dolls, Nancy & Zuri.JPG

"Love All.....Trust Few.....Do Wrong To None! Wm. Shakespeare
Message 124 of 211
latest reply

Yes, I did make that gown.   I modeled it after the tagged formals that Miss Revlons wear.   I LOVE this thread.  Making an orphan into a star is so much fun!

Goldie
Message 125 of 211
latest reply

All the wonderful pictures are so inspring!

Here's the Patsy Lou I posted a question about before and after-- she really just needed cleaning & a hair set.

Patsy Lou.JPG

Message 126 of 211
latest reply

I LOVE THIS THREAD!   All of these dolls are so beautiful after they have been "loved".    so here is my Lady-In-Red Cissy.

LadyInRedBA.jpg

Goldie
Message 127 of 211
latest reply

Wow, Patsy Lou looks great and that Cissy...wow....

Miss Revlon sure is pretty in her new dress!

Those little AA babies turned out adorable.

I never got brave enough to do anything to Shirley..Here she is so far...

001.JPG004.JPG002.JPG

Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
~Charlie Chaplin~
Message 128 of 211
latest reply

That Shirley is adorable!  

One time I sent a compo doll into the New York Doll Hospital (not sure it even exists anymore), to have her eyes repaired.    They painted a black pupil onto the eye.   Not sure to this day how I felt about that.   I do know that I ended up selling the doll.   I supposed you could try a tiny piece of black tape cut into the shape of a pupil instead of painting it.  

However, I might just leave the eyes and call it a day because that doll is still very appealing and wonderful.

Goldie
Message 129 of 211
latest reply

Love the Shirley! You really don't have to do anything-- she looks fine just as she is.

I used to be wary of collecting copo doll because of the crazed eyes. Then I realized that 90% had them & that put it more in perspective.

That said, I know not to oil them, and I tried the Damar varnish cure once to no avail, and the doll hospital that used to advertise "transplants" doesn't do them anymore-- is there ANY solution out there?

Message 130 of 211
latest reply

Hi there!  This board is amazing--you and everyone else is so incredible!  I'd give my eye teeth to know 1 ounce of what you know in order to make these dolls rock stars. 🙂  I wanted to ask about the eyes and the glazed look.  I just read that blow drying the eyes can remove that haze--has anyone tried that?  I have not yet--just read it somewhere online and seems like it may have been one of those eBay posts.  I did hear sewing oil but see you said not to oil them--can I ask why not?  I did do that but the effect only lasts a few minutes and the haze comes back.

I have a bunch of dolls that need--as they famously say--TLC.  A Revolon one I think--in fact a couple like that and they are really in great condition except a few things.  And I have some dresses for them too that are really nice.  Is there quite a market for selling dolls that need some care and any special wording you look for?  TLC can mean absolutely beyond help.... or it can be not so bad!

Thanks bunches and kudos to you all!!!

Kari

Message 131 of 211
latest reply

Quiet_Lady45 shares how to accomplish this in her response right on this thread - Got to:

"Love All.....Trust Few.....Do Wrong To None! Wm. Shakespeare
Message 132 of 211
latest reply

I am looking forward to photos of your restoration.  I can't get enough of the Before and After pictures.   I am almost done with a vintage Cissy that require her filthy dress to be taken care of, her high heels totally redone and her hat re-veiled.   Thank goodness the doll itself just needed re-stringing and her wig was good...and her eyes were good, too!   I lucked out there!

OK, you guys keep these Before and Afters coming, they are so wonderful to see!

Goldie
Message 133 of 211
latest reply

Amen to that and also if you don't mind elaborating a little to those of us who are just fans and don't know how to do what you do. 🙂 

That way it becomes a great informational board as well.  I'm all ready to see anything that gets posted here--rock on sisters and brothers!

Kari

Message 134 of 211
latest reply

I couldn't resist........... 

Before Charm School.jpg

Goldie
Message 135 of 211
latest reply