cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rip off site? Replacements Ltd

I use a link for research and I found they have field people and thought that it was a possible way to sell items that didn't sell in my listings. I got a letter from them and there is a membership fee (a large one!) and a quota, etc. I believe that must be a rip off. What do you think?
Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

elodiejane
Enthusiast
Hi duck, I use them often for looking at things I want to ID but I have never tried to sell anything to them. I hear they don't pay a lot. I know they sell pretty high but I suppose they have to make a profit with their huge website, enormous warehouse and staff. They also have a free service to ID things, you just send them pictures. You get emails after that fairly often with prices for pieces in that pattern. I don't know anything about the "field" program you are talking about, so I'm not much help there. Elodie
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Hi Ducky!!! A friend of mine once contacted replacements an inquired about selling a few pieces of glassware she inherited. Suffice it to say that she thought it wiser to take a chance on selling them herself. There were strict requirements and very little $$ offered. She was right and she did realize more cash from her sales here on eBay than if she had submitted to the replacement people. It is a good site to look for identifications but not everything is always correctly labeled. That's why it is always better to have 2 or more references when digging up identifications. ;-) PS... Didn't forget about your green tumblers. In all my travels online and off I have not found anything like them yet. I say yet because I know they're out there someplace. :-D -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Thanks for the heads-up! I've been compiling a sizable list of things to attempt to sell to them, but not under the circumstances you describe. :O Sooo.....how 'bout antique shops? Do they buy outright or sell on consignment, and is it worth the bother? Bev
Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Are we allowed to share in this thread the exact info they sent me? If not I'd like to send it to you all some other way. Thank you elodiejane for your response! Do you think I could send them pictures of my green glasses for identification? Thanks yanny about the green glasses picture you put up here. They realy are pretty aren't they? I hope someone can find out what they are. I'd like to auction them soon because they would look so nice with Christmas trimmings. And last, but not least (I have to call you bubbles!) I am so sorry to burst your bubble, hee, hee, haa, haa, Seriously though---I am sorry about that. I do not believe that the antique shops will pay you very much for your items. Some of them have space they will rent to you on a monthly basis, which might be more profitable to you. I was also wondering if somehow we all could just advertise for each other like a cross reference network in each of our listings. A buddy system if you will. It would be great cross promotion! What do you all think?
Message 5 of 34
latest reply

Hi Ducky, Long time since we last heard from you. I'd love to hear what Replacements told you -- don't know why you can't share here, now that we're allowed to use their name. Actually, I kind of liked mentioning the "R" site -- sort of like a secret code. I've sent them pics for i.d. The only negative is that they send emails trying to sell you stuff. No bubble burst here about dealers -- I was pretty sure I already knew the answer. However, I DO like your cross-referencing idea, and why not? We could just say something like "For more glass and other great items, see these sellers" and put it at the bottom of our descriptions. Yanny would know if it breaks any rules, but I can't imagine why they'd object. After all, it might increase sales and the fees they collect. happy day! :-) Bev
Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Ducky and Bev, I can't find any place in the eBay policies that says you can't mention another seller's ID as long as there isn't a link. So, unless I missed something.... When I used to sell on the 'O' we were allowed to cross reference other sellers on our auctions and on our home pages. We couldn't use links in the auctions but we could on our home pages. I know that eBay allows for 3 favorite sellers links on our "About Me" pages. There used to be a group that was formed explicitly for cross referencing other sellers but it closed a while ago. I think you had to have an eBay store to participate in the cross reference. Oh well, it isn't there now. :-( -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Yan, They won't allow links to other eBay sellers? Or, do you mean links to sellers outside of eBay? I would think that there's an increased chance of an eBay SALE by giving links to other sellers. Wonder what the "O" is?? later, Bev
Message 8 of 34
latest reply

For those who have questions about eBay Links Policy please click on the link below to read the Help Page concerning Links in item descriptions etc. http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.html It would be interesting to see how you all interpret these policies. -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 9 of 34
latest reply

Since I see no rule there against links to other eBay sellers, I would assume that it's okay to do so. I'm up for trying it -- anyone else care to join me in a little experiment? ;-) I'm reasonably certain that they'd only ask you to remove it, since there's no specific rule against it. Bev
Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Sorry buds, for not responding sooner. Tons of publicity to work on for The Choral Society of Middle Ga has been bogging me down and rehearsals etc. THE Busiest time of year!!!! And I'm trying to do eBay & have a life, yea, right! My spin on this quote "eBay allows sellers to place only certain types of links within an item description. A link is any mechanism used to take a member off of the eBay site" Note take a member off of the ebay site about says it all. We can use each others ebay link with a description stating see our friends for more hard to find patterns. This will imply our individual trust and encourage buyers to search for the patterns one of us has that the other one doesn't have. Open communication is the best form of publicity we can use to drive business to our ebay sites. As far as actually posting what "R" 😉 specifically sent me shouldn't be a problem as there won't be a link to go to in the message, just what the letter said. Hey, we could form a whole new trend girls!!! Which site was "O"?
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Here is the info they sent to me... They would call us "Star Supplier" and we would become a member of their "Supplier Team" with an "initial payment" of $250.00 for the calendar year with a yearly renewal fee based on the suppliers annual sales where sales of were $5,000.00 or above you would pay $200.00 for the yearly renewal fee. Now, this is where it doesn't make any sense to me... if your sales were between $1,000.00 and $4,999.00 your annual fee would be $500.00. And if they $999.00 or less your annual fee $1,000.00. The Due Date is Dec 1 with a $50.00 late fee.
Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Are you saying that WE pay THEM for the honor of "selling" them our wares for next to nothing? Excuse me while I fall off my chair and roll on the floor, shrieking with laughter. We don't even have a smiley face to cover THAT one! So, how do we place the links to one another? bb
Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Ducky, Now that I'm reading their requirements again (fully awake and caffeinated), the part that didn't make sense actually makes perfect sense, or should I say that I understand it (NOT that it makes sense, except to "R"). So, not only does a seller pay a start-up fee, s(he) pays an annual fee based on sales -- the more sold, the lower the fee. Result? You bust your butt trying to supply them with tons of stuff to sell, so that the privilege of doing so doesn't cost AS MUCH as if you didn't meet their quota. And then a late fee besides? What a colossal racket! There's no way a person can make money, unless you manage estate sales and skim off the goodies. They must have people doing some serious volume, or neither would be coming out ahead. Absolutely mind-blowing! And, as our Hedgie would say, "snicker, chortle, guffaw", or some such thing. :-D Speaking of Hedgie, what's happening? Yanny? Bev
Message 14 of 34
latest reply

How to Make a Link at Bob's Tips is great and easy to understand. Click the link below to see how to make a link. http://www.bulls2.com/indexb/howtomakealink2.html If you have any questions fire away. I'll try to answer as clearly as I can. :-D -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 15 of 34
latest reply